Why are all of the AR's for sale?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Because ARs always cost a certain amount of money per brand/build and that was that.

Then came the 94 AWB and that screwed prices up and eventually sunset, but prices were still a little inflated over what they were prior to the Clinton ban.

Then comes modern times and more and more manufacturers are getting into the AR market. This all drives the price down.

Then comes the fear of Obama or Hillary (along with a ton of ignorance being spewed on the radio, etc... by places like Dong's purely for their own profit) and panic sets in because of the knowledge of the 94 AWB. This drives prices up a little more but this is an artificial inflation of the market.

Then comes Nov 4th and overnight several gun-shops hiked prices by as much as $100 each on guns (including some of our sponsors that are now on my ban list) and more panic. This wasn't done out of fear for the most part, but purely for profit off of a public scare of a Clinton-like candidate in office. Still more artificial inflation.

Then because of the panic, more and more new gun folks are getting in to the market and buying "Assault weapons" because they are afraid of not being able to get one later. This creates a HUGE consumer base for the newly inflated market.

Then low and behold, we have a ton of new douche-bag sellers who are buying up everything they can and hiking prices on it to make money off of fellow-gun people. This drives even more artificial inflation (and as a side note, causes as much damage to the gun community as any anti-gun liberal ever has in my opinion).

Now with all the new-guys to guns and the flood of douche-bags selling, you have people desperate to get an AR (for quite honestly irrational reasons and buying into the media hype) and these folks are now paying super-inflated prices for crappier weapons like Double-Star ARs, etc... (I've seen them as high as $1300 at a gun show).

Now comes the ammo shortage and that makes the AR scare last even longer than it should have because by this point, a noticeable percentage of the population (mostly voters), have bought guns (based just on NICS check reports) and have scared anti-gun politicians who are now noticing that these gun-buyers are voters and probably don't dig all the anti-gun legislation - and wait a minute, several of these anti-gun folks are coming up for re-election soon.

Finally - these new-to-gun folks are getting educated as to the prison-raping they just took on their new rifle and several of the douche-bag gougers are realizing that they may have gotten into the market too late as they actually paid slightly inflated prices and are trying to make a profit - but there are no more gullible new-to-gun folks out there and the old gun-guys are now pissed off at the gougers for turning on the gun community like they did.

Guns sit on shelves and don't sell - prices fall. Good - I hope some of these gougers get their houses/cars repo'd.

Meanwhile - a lot of the individuals who bought ARs either to get one before a second AWB, or to make money off of did so with credit cards and are now feeling the pain of that payment and have decided that maybe that purchase wasn't the best-timed purchase after all.

Just you wait - prices will be well below retail soon enough.

:clap3:Excellent analysis.

Reaction score
Or worse...DPMS

Ouch! :D

It's like the stock market. Stocks are NOT a good investment if you're a "day trader", buying and selling all the time. ARs are not a good investment if you bought high and are now trying to sell low. But like stocks, if you hang onto them for awhile until the NEXT ban or bad election, then they can be a good investment.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ouch! :D

It's like the stock market. Stocks are NOT a good investment if you're a "day trader", buying and selling all the time. ARs are not a good investment if you bought high and are now trying to sell low. But like stocks, if you hang onto them for awhile until the NEXT ban or bad election, then they can be a good investment.

Actually I tried to sell this rifle dirt cheap but no one bit, after many bumps, right here in two different threads in the classifieds recently.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow said:
The price on this pistol is exactly what the best price you can find and show me for a new gun is, from Bud's, Impact, etc. (such as $906 here: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/50951 ) The reasons you'd want to pay a new price for this new-condition but pre-owned gun are:
1. No Papers (which I figure makes a gun 10-15% more valuable)
2. Mitch Rosen Holster (described above)
3. No FFL fees
4. No shipping fees
5. No sales tax (if you bought locally)
6. I will throw in 25 rounds of 230 ball ammo
7. Pick a bonus/incentive item

Nice edit Doc btw. :rolleyes2

I gotta stop clicking on that "view post" button.

tinfinger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Panic buyers have reached their credit card limits (or comfort limit).

The local shops are awash in AR's (and other tactical goodies) and the prices are coming down. But boy the rode it for all it was worth for awhile.

BlackRifle762

Marksman
Reaction score
I'm one of those new guys that dug into credit to purchase a few AR's before a new AWB went into place.

Although I agree it's not good that price gouging took place, I think it is very good that the people responded en masse to a perceived attempt to restrict gun rights. If the perception of a threat had not been responded to it most assuredly would have materialized in the form of legislation very quickly.

Maybe I paid a little more than others for my AR's but guns are like children, I just can't say I have any regrets that I have them, regardless of cost.

When the prices come down, I'll buy more cause I'm crazy for anything that makes it hard for Nancy Pelosi to sleep at night.

My 0.02

Jza

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What do you all consider a franken-Ar? I am building one right now, but I think that I have good parts, not that I am going to sell it.

I don't think "franken-AR" referred to the quality of the weapon so much as the fact that it's made from mismatched brands of upper/lower/accessory pieces.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Although I agree it's not good that price gouging took place, I think it is very good that the people responded en masse to a perceived attempt to restrict gun rights. If the perception of a threat had not been responded to it most assuredly would have materialized in the form of legislation very quickly.

I agree 100%.

As much as it pains me to say it - the panic buying and fear of loosing guns (even by people who didn't used to be gun people... even by people who voted for Obama) is what sat some of the anti-gun legislators down in their seats for a bit.

Its because of the massive numbers of guns sold in American up to and directly after Nov 4th that many politicians realized that the people had in fact, spoken.

shortgrass

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
There were and are people out there who have NO interest in firearms, getting on the 'band wagon', helping to drive up prices on guns and ammo. AR's assembled from parts, and sometimes cheap parts at that, will never be worth what a factory built gun will be, they'll be in the same class as the DS and DPMS.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
nothing wrong with a DPMS AR, i'll admit, i paid $200 for a stripped DPMS lower during the "panic" from an osa sponsor, who tried to sell me a stripped spikes lower, and they(spikes) was one of the first to start price gouging.

Latest posts

Top Bottom