Why are Camaro and Mustang owners driving in this weather?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I lived in Northern Va for a few years where the snow and Ice pretty much stayed on the ground all winter when I was younger. I had a 500 dollar Datsun B210 coupe with a set of studded snow grips on the back. I cut the emergency brake cable and made two handles for turning brakes like a tractor, one for each wheel. Coverted the heater core over to a bigger one out of a Ford dump truck.

That little puppy was a snow and ice eatin machine and never left me stranded anywhere. Used that rustbucket POS for 4 years and sold it for the same 500 dollars I paid for it when I left.

Wife had a B210 when we met. I used to take her to the fairgrounds to practice driving on ice in the 70's. It was a very good car. My cousin and another friend had VW's. We drove them in river beds and an earthen dam near Stillwater and abused 'em. Those were good cars indeed.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most of those are LP Adventure packages. If it weren't for towing the boat I'd have an LP Adventure Outback. Well, that and the CVT trans. My dream rig would be a fully kitted LP Adventure Outback with an STI engine and a Porsche PDK transmission.
I've always felt the same about CVTs and in general they are a P.O.S. However after rolling the dice on a Crosstrek I've come to actually like Subaru's. They actually somewhat feel like a normal trans shifting and they even give you more engine braking than a conventional left in drive. Sport mode feels just like a conventional trans using the paddle shifters with the exception that you can just blow off the paddles altogether and it'll still shift for you. I feel that Subaru has done with their CVTs what they've done with their "Symmetrical AWD" being leaving everyone else in the dust. :P

With all that said I also feel they need to have a manual trans option in basically every model along with a turbo! OBTW...build a full size SAWD pickup!

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just passed a bunch of big 4x4 trucks stuck at the entrance of my hood. @ssgrock3 Surry Hills Blvd is nuts. I was driving my jeep in 2 wheel drive while they just spun a wheel on the front and the back...

POKE1911

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I will always have a 4x4 and/or AWD.

Are they more expensive: Yes
Does the difference in price make that big of a difference in monthly payment: No
Are they more expensive to repair certain things: Yes
Have I had to repair those items: No
Does it get used more than one or two days per year: No
Do I have superior off-road driving skills: No
How often do I drive on road, despite snow that I will ever get stuck: Very Rare.
Have I ever got stuck in my 2wd: Yes
Have I ever got stuck in my 4x4: No
Could I get stuck in my 4x4: Yes
Does owning a 4x4 give me more confidence that I will make it to my destination in bad weather: yes
Do I like being stuck waiting for a hired tow truck or a Good Samaritan: No
Have I had to go find sand for the back of my 4x2 truck: Yes ; 4x4: No
Do I prefer the look of a 4x4 over a 4x2, especially with a leveling kit: Yes
Now I do get a kick out of $100k Raptors that are only used as glorified grocery-getters: Yes
Do I think the guy with the lifted truck with a monster sticker in the back window is compensating for something: Yes

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All my life, I made fun of people who bought 4 WD and never got off the pavement... guess who has 4 WD now, and never gets off the pavement!? :rollingla

In all fairness, your choices are pretty limited these days in 2 WD trucks. I told the sales guy up front I didn't really need or want 4 WD. Every time we'd say, what about <insert option>? He'd say, yes we have one with that, but it's 4 WD.

I'm sure we could have found a 2 WD if we'd looked harder... I'm not necessarily anti 4 WD, I just don't really need it. Sure was nice yesterday, though...

Same here. I didn't buy the ZR2 for it's off road capability. I bought it for the long travel suspension and tall sidewall tires. It soaks up broken pavement and potholes WAY better than my Lexus sedan ever did! If they'd have offered a 2WD pre-runner with the same axle locker and suspension setup? I'd have gone for that instead.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I will always have a 4x4 and/or AWD.

Are they more expensive: Yes
Does the difference in price make that big of a difference in monthly payment: No
Are they more expensive to repair certain things: Yes
Have I had to repair those items: No
Does it get used more than one or two days per year: No
Do I have superior off-road driving skills: No
How often do I drive on road, despite snow that I will ever get stuck: Very Rare.
Have I ever got stuck in my 2wd: Yes
Have I ever got stuck in my 4x4: No
Could I get stuck in my 4x4: Yes
Does owning a 4x4 give me more confidence that I will make it to my destination in bad weather: yes
Do I like being stuck waiting for a hired tow truck or a Good Samaritan: No
Have I had to go find sand for the back of my 4x2 truck: Yes ; 4x4: No
Do I prefer the look of a 4x4 over a 4x2, especially with a leveling kit: Yes
Now I do get a kick out of $100k Raptors that are only used as glorified grocery-getters: Yes
Do I think the guy with the lifted truck with a monster sticker in the back window is compensating for something: Yes

Don’t discount extra weight in the back of your 4x4 truck during ice and snow events. I put four 60 pound tubes of sand in the back of my 1994 F150 4x4 and it made a noticeable difference.

Latest posts

Top Bottom