Why are Oklahoma's roads so crappy?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
They're doing a lot of construction on Hwy 75 northbound from Tulsa to Bartlesville right now and it's got me curious.

They're adding in a probably 4-foot shoulder to the inside lines of a divided 4-lane highway. Not sure what that accomplishes, because it's not level with the road, it obviously slopes down from the main roadbed, which already had a 2-foot shoulder on the inside and a 6-foot+ shoulder on the outside. But here's the catch, to me... and maybe someone can explain this to me. They're adding this shoulder in alternating sections from each side. Yeah... they'll add a couple hundred feet on the interior of the northbound side, then terminated it, sod everything (like they're done) and then switch to the southbound side for the next section. They've don't this for several miles now. It's not a shoulder that will later be added into a 3rd lane for several reasons.

1. There's no need for a 6-lane divided highway between Tulsa and Bartlesville.
2. The shoulder slopes way too much to be made into a driveable lane.
3. It alternates between northbound and southbound every few hundred yards. And they're sodding the sections in-between. They're done.

I don't see the purpose of this couple extra feet in alternating, sloping sections.

Can anyone tell me why they spent a year cutting holes in the same road in rectangular dashes every few feet, then filling those holes with concrete? This was... oh, 2009, I think. That road when you drive down it, looks like you're driving over a long series of dashed lines pointing with the flow of traffic, three abreast per lane. I wondered if they were putting some kind of sensors in there (Google cars that drive themselves, etc?) or some kind of stress relief, or whatever... but after 4 years or so now, those concrete "plugs" they put in are breaking up and coming out. I never found out why the hell they were cutting holes in a (relatively) perfectly good road?

It looks like this (IN the lane, between the lines) when you're driving on it:

| | |
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | |

Grendel

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me why they spent a year cutting holes in the same road in rectangular dashes every few feet, then filling those holes with concrete? This was... oh, 2009, I think. That road when you drive down it, looks like you're driving over a long series of dashed lines pointing with the flow of traffic, three abreast per lane. I wondered if they were putting some kind of sensors in there (Google cars that drive themselves, etc?) or some kind of stress relief, or whatever... but after 4 years or so now, those concrete "plugs" they put in are breaking up and coming out. I never found out why the hell they were cutting holes in a (relatively) perfectly good road?

It looks like this (IN the lane, between the lines) when you're driving on it:

| | |
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | |

I'd like to know about these dashes also. HWY 69 north bound, south of Chouteau in the Mazie area has these. They were put in after the road was resurfaced a few years ago. The south bound side of the HWY doesn't have them...???

plissken

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Only after I cross the state line, leaving Oklahoma, can I truly tell if I have a tire out-of-balance. If I'm thinking I may have one a little "off", I wait for a smooth section of road...usually just across the state line.

I live in rural Logan County. Logan County doesn't even know what gravel is. Just washed out dirt roads.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
People talk smack about how backwards Arkansas is, but their roads (for the most part) are FAR better than Oklahoma. Tulsa has become a damn joke, they never finish any construction. I challenge you to cross Tulsa from any angle without running into some type of construction bullcrap, and most of it has been going on for many years!

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think those "Stitch" type repairs are to actually connect to adjacent slabs to some extent, kind of like legos. Supposedly better than just butting them up together.

1911Sooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just got back from a week long trip to Padre and the 14 hour trip was awesome once we crossed the red river. Even the back roads in South Texas are damn nice. We commented on how smooth all the roads where down there last week. I can't imagine there are many States with worse roads than us.

Latest posts

Top Bottom