Why are the people at Dong's so rude?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Think about it... Would you want to work at a place called "Dongs?"

I mean, you're going to have to explain yourself every time you hand out a business card. And in the end, most people will still never believe you're only selling guns.

I'm just sayin.

KillShot

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I at least try to smile and greet the guy behind the counter.

That's my point exactly. Whether I know a person or not, I treat them with respect until given a reason to do otherwise. At Dong's, it's almost as if they look down their nose at you with that attitude of "WTF are you doing in my store?!" I'm not asking nor do I want special treatment. However, it would be nice if you could show some appreciation such as "thank you for your business" when there are other stores in town, not to mention online vendors that I could be getting my supplies from.

I choose your location because you're local and the tax goes back into local economy, however small the amount might be. When you make it unpleasant or uncomfortable to do business with you, suddenly the idea of paying a few dollars more to have it special ordered somewhere else or get it online, begins to seem a little more appealing to prevent having to deal with your ungrateful, sour attitude.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I purchased a firearm on Gunbroker and had it sent to Mark at Sooner Guns for the FFL transfer ($25). He ridiculed what I bought and insisted that his merchandise was just as good for less money, although he had never seen or fired one of what I had purchased.

I've kind of run into the same thing. I once inquired about a Kahr P380 and he knocked the price talking about his Kel-tecs etc. Sorry my friend, I'm not that ignorant. His wife was always VERY nice and courteous though.

FWIW, I've gone to Dongs recently on Sundays because they are the only ones in town that had .380 for a halfway decent price along with SD ammo. The son? is relatively helpful.

Coltcombat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
+1
outdoor america has some extremely rude
staff. I asked one guy(big Indian who looked like he smoked too many
cigs) if he could help me with some ammo. He just looked
at me like i didn't belong in the store. That was just the most recent visit.
Something similar happens everytime.....not to mention, having to practically beg to get some damn help. It takes a mortar strike to get them away from there inter-staff political debate.

I'm done going there.

Is it as bad as outdoor america?

pistolpete95

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never had a bad experience at Dong's. You don't get alot of love there but so what. In terms of service, the slowest customer service of my circuit is OPS. Thats usually because when you are ready with a question or want to see something, you have to interupt a BS session.

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm so glad someone else asked where Dong's is. I was wondering myself, but couldn't bring myself to ask for fear everyone would think I was looking for a gay bar.

:haay:

OAS used to be a 'must stop' for me when I went to OKC, but it seems to have declined a lot in the past ten years or so. Not just the service, but also the stock - especially reloading components. And whoever they have at the checkout is always someone who would be better suited for service as a shoe clerk @ J. C. Penney's or something. Their decline feels much like the old Southwest Shooters in OKC.

Cedar Creek

Barrett

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man, I thought I was the only one who felt that way. I was in there this past Saturday to purchase a box of ammo and I was appalled at how one of the guys (tall, slim, grey headed) spoke to an elderly man who came in asking about gunsmithing. If only there was another location in town that carried Hornady TAP .308, I'd never give my business to Dong's again.

Each time I've been there, one of the older guys (tall, slim, grey headed) looks and talks to you like you're trespassing or something of the sort.

So it is not just me....?!?

I've done business with Dong's off and on for many years now. Wife bought my first bow from old man Dong himself back in 1985. Shortly after he died and his son-in-law started running it, they had a pretty decent staff there. At least to me as they knew me. Then about 2001, I go in with a wad of money and there is all new salesmen in there. I planned on buying two Kimbers, and a good over/under shotgun. I walked out after about 5 minutes of listening to attitudes. And they lost about $3500.00 worth of sales.

I remember going in there as a kid, there were barrels full of either SKS's or AK's for sale. The old man showed me how stand in the bow, to bend/curve the fiberglass Ben Pearson bow I had to intall the string, and then how to measure it. By the way, he was wearing buzz cut grey hair, white camo shorts, and 1911's on each hip. My grandpa took me in there, unwillingly, like it could have been a scene from that Clint Eastwood movie 'Grand Torino'. Take into consideration this is the mid '80's after the cross-bow slayings, nobody had bow stuff, and compound bows were the rage.

Later in life, go back, on the hunt for a Browning Hi-Power, they so happen to have a consignment in the case...

Dramatic pause....

'Yes, excuse me sir, mind if I look at that stainless Hi-Power with the Pachmayr grips?......." :explode: Lets say the only thing not challenged was my maternal lineage.

I was thinking the whole time, if this weapon is so bad, and you feel this strongly about it, why have it in the store?

Anyway, NO I did not by the Hi-Power, my friend Travis who rode along kindly handed back the AR-15 M-4 clone he was fondling, and the guy that drove us, Russel did not even bother to get the Benelli shotgun he was after. We thought we might get a package deal or a break for spending a what I thought was a fair amount of money for one purchase.

Multiple repeat offenses, I kept trying because of the interaction I had as a kid.

I shop at the Second Hand Rose Pawn Shop....2100 E 3rd St in Tulsa.

I bought a beautiful blued Belgium Browning Hi-Power(couldn't leave you hanging).

Its SOOOOOO good, I should not even post it, because you will all become my competition.

John has sold me LOTS and LOTS and LOTS of guns, and guns to LOTS of my friends. They will accept my on-line purchases for whatever the FFL form costs and will order whatever I think I need from whatever place, he calmly explained..."Jason, this is a business, we need to make money on things" he gave me the percentage he needed over whatever I asked him to order, plus the FFL charge. hey, I am in.

Like, I don't even bother with Wanemakers anymore.

So things NOT to do today or EVER:

Go to DONG's (other than as a paramedic)
Go to Sports World (other than as a paramedic)

Latest posts

Top Bottom