more BOHICA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, just got a letter stating a wind farm is being proposed for north central Lincoln county. Our farm is the bullseye.
We don't want it. Neighbors don't want it. My understanding is that if enough people in the area are for it, we don't have a choice. Only place on our farm would be right in the middle of the best hunting we have.
Just found out the local "officials" have known for two years that it was coming. Now I know why we got notification they were surveying some "road improvements" a few months ago.......got to make sure they can get the trucks carrying the blades around the corners.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, just got a letter stating a wind farm is being proposed for north central Lincoln county. Our farm is the bullseye.
We don't want it. Neighbors don't want it. My understanding is that if enough people in the area are for it, we don't have a choice. Only place on our farm would be right in the middle of the best hunting we have.
Just found out the local "officials" have known for two years that it was coming. Now I know why we got notification they were surveying some "road improvements" a few months ago.......got to make sure they can get the trucks carrying the blades around the corners.
Are they talking eminent domain?

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
They can't force you, it's not eminent domain. I know folks who didn't lease and they've got them all around them. I also know folks that figured if they're going to have to look at them next door anyway, they might as well have them too and make some money. They don't seem to effect deer hunting, waterfowl on the other hand they will, I've seen that many times.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are they talking eminent domain?
No. Haven't got the letter in front of me and can't recall the details but it works kind of like an oil well in terms of how they manage the land. Don't recall all the details but claim it can pay between $75-90k/yearly (plus surface damages) if they place three mills on your property. If they do not ultimately choose to skip you, there is still some nominal payment to keep you in the program.
Okie4570....that was my understanding too but apparently something has changed recently. Several folks out in the Hydro area have fought...and lost that battle.

OkieMoe

WHEELMAN
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No. Haven't got the letter in front of me and can't recall the details but it works kind of like an oil well in terms of how they manage the land. Don't recall all the details but claim it can pay between $75-90k/yearly (plus surface damages) if they place three mills on your property. If they do not ultimately choose to skip you, there is still some nominal payment to keep you in the program.
Okie4570....that was my understanding too but apparently something has changed recently. Several folks out in the Hydro area have fought...and lost that battle.
They have been sniffing around the Ft cobb area as well.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Go look at the faa proposed sites for turbines to see if any turbines are even proposed for your land before you even consider a lease. They will lease your property even if you don't have a turbine so they can control the space and develop roads and power lines above and below ground. You might not get any revenue.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We’ve had two farms under contract to a wind farm for 5 years, getting an annual retainer to keep the contract in force.
In January, we got a letter from the wind farm company that they can’t find anyone to purchase the electricity they generate, so per the agreement in the contract, they cancelled it. No wind farm on us now.
From what I understand they have to have a buyer before they can build.
Edit: Wind farms are great to hunt coyotes around. Dead birds from strikes attract them.

Beautiful Mulberry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I work on lease land drive a semi in oilfield.
If they make you do, last resort when creating a contract have it written in detail that any damages to the land after work is complete is to be fixed and paid for by them.
2-speed limit on your roads is 10-15mph.
3-no truck or equipment is leave the roads after work is complete. You have to be a tyrant. I work with land owners everyday. Their property their rules.
Trust me stuff happens and truck leave the road or spill stuff all the time. If it wasn’t for the contract property owner would be liable. Put it on the company.

Latest posts

Top Bottom