Why on earth do we tip at restaurants?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is exactly the question these business owners decided to answer.

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/101918-restaurant-tip-ban-nyc-sushi-restaurant-pays-staff-salary/

A Japanese restaurant in New York City placed a ban on tipping and instead, its owners have opted to pay workers a salary with paid vacation and sick leave.

Sushi Yasuda co-founder Scott Rosenberg said that when customers realize they don’t have to pay a tip, they are usually pleased.

“One [young guy] said, ‘I’m going to eat 20 percent more sushi,” Rosenberg told ABC News.

“The diner doesn’t [have to] think about how much to leave and make calculations [after] a contemplative and special meal,” he said, adding that taking tips out of the equation enhances the customer’s experience.

He said, “We’re really sort of just staying connected to that classical approach [of fine Japanese dining].”

Rosenberg told The Price Hike website that there’s no line on the receipt to write a tip.

“I’ve always dreamed…wouldn’t it be great not to have to worry about tipping?” Rosenberg told the site. “Look at your bill, make sure that it’s correct and sign the check if you’re good, and you won’t have think and calculate and do a math equation at the table.”

Daisy Chung, head of Restaurant Opportunities Center of New York, told ABC that paying restaurant workers salaries is a good idea.

“We definitely feel there shouldn’t be a separate system where tip workers rely on tips to subsidize their wages,” Chung said. “Workers should be fully compensated.”

you read the article, right? i hope so.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll read it later. You tip because that's part of the price. You can't afford to tip, you cant afford to eat in a restaurant. No shame in it. I've been there many times. Go get your raw fish at the grocery store if you can't afford to tip.

I'm betting that LC's point. Now I'll go read the article.

Edit: I was wrong. More Restaurants should pay a living wage. That's another good point.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Heaven forbid an employer pay a fair salary. The whole tip thing is stupid. Two waiters or waitress give excellent service. But because one is more attractive then the other they'll get the bigger tip. It happens all the time. Nothing fair about that at all. In many other countries tipping is unheard of. Charge a fair price, pay a decent wage.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes - the tip is for service. If it sucks, the tip sucks or doesn't exist. If the server is good, friendly, and does a good job, the tip should reflect that. Tips should never be mandatory, but should be used as a gesture of appreciation for taking good care of the patron.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes - the tip is for service. If it sucks, the tip sucks or doesn't exist. If the server is good, friendly, and does a good job, the tip should reflect that. Tips should never be mandatory, but should be used as a gesture of appreciation for taking good care of the patron.
That's the way I've always looked at it.

The tip is a personal gesture on my part to demonstrate my satisfaction, or lack of, with the service provided and the dining experience in general.

Once you take the tip out of the equation, all the staff gets paid roughly the same whether they are attentive to the patrons or not.

Latest posts

Top Bottom