Minimum Wage - the fallout!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Forget minimum wage.

Can someone explain to me why wages for the 'middle class' (aka 'be happy you're not homeless') have remained stagnant since the late 70s?

Policy decisions or increase in the price of Whoppers and Taco Tico? Lol. One would think wages would have kept pace with inflation, and a dramatic rise in measured overall productivity, ya know, since wage increase cause unsustainable inflation and all.

I myself find American corporations selling 1/3rd of our manufacturing jobs overseas and the middle class losing purchasing power at lightspeed to be sound conservative economic policy. Time to kiss my painting of Ronnie Raygun and head off to work.

Exactly. This is why I say all wages need to increase. People focus on minimum wage but it's largely a distraction from a bigger issue. Most workers are being ripped off... Everything is about the bottom line and the shareholders. Not that workers. Folks have no idea how much they're getting ripped off and they act like a shrinking middle class is some mystical beast they just can't figure out. Uhh, it's simple folks. You're not getting paid enough.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Exactly. This is why I say all wages need to increase. People focus on minimum wage but it's largely a distraction from a bigger issue. Most workers are being ripped off... Everything is about the bottom line and the shareholders. Not the workers. Folks have no idea how much they're getting ripped off and they act like a shrinking middle class is some mystical beast they just can't figure out. Uhh, it's simple folks. You're not getting paid enough.
Debs said much the same thing.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can someone not give me the new right/lolbertarian explanation for stagnant/falling wages over a 40 year period where GDP and meausured productivity grew steadily?

Help a dummy out, here.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can someone not give me the new right/lolbertarian explanation for stagnant/falling wages over a 40 year period where GDP and meausured productivity grew steadily?

Help a dummy out, here.
It went toward executive compensation and stock dividends.
Trickle down economics. Duh

And all that newfound wealth cried out for tax cuts that benefited the same people.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unbelievable. Just unbelievable. lol Anyways... no point in arguing this from my standpoint. Oh well... go ahead and raise all the wages, raise the prices accordingly (and yes, there IS a direct correlation), and realize that your raises accomplished absolutely nothing in the longrun but diminishing the purchasing power of the dollar. Raising the minimum wage is just like giving out entitlements to buy votes. If it makes you feel warm and fuzzy because you think you're doing something for the downtrodden, well, I hope you enjoy it.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Forget minimum wage.

Can someone explain to me why wages for the 'middle class' (aka 'be happy you're not homeless') have remained stagnant since the late 70s?

Help a dummy out, here.

Where are all our econ majors? Is it because Whoppers?

Latest posts

Top Bottom