Why would you want a safety on your handgun?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why would you want a safety on your handgun?

um......for safety?
i6.photobucket.com_albums_y209_andywayne_Emoticons_bth_noclue.gif

spacepiggy

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would also take a gander that it was discharge while cleaning the weapon. . . glock -- open slide, alter takedown lever, drop slide, remove magazine, squeeze trigger, BANG.

It happens a lot and is one of the major bad things about glock that I dislike. They are forcing users to do what is considered a no no to clean the weapon.

I think you're out of sequence: DROP MAG [first], rack slide [as many times as it takes to figure out nothing is in the chamber], dry fire [always in a safe direction], then disengage take down tabs and remove slide. Easy-peasy.

You can't take down a Glock with the striker cocked, it won't budge so don't try, just rack it again and LOOK in the chamber.

If worried about trigger finger being distracted by the smooth feel of that safety, keep it up nose until ready to fire. It can have a nice chat with brain.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I dont know. I have a friend who carries his glock 36 chamber empty. He thinks he is fast enough to rack the slide while drawing. I cannot sway his thought process.

Wow. He thinks enough of himself to feel he can rack the slide while drawing; but at the same time; isn't confident enough in himself to carry that little old Glock 36 with a round in the chamber huh? Think he might be interested in selling that inherently untrustworthy 36 and getting something with a big old fat manual safety? I'd be interested...

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
M&Ps do not. But you should still drop the mag and clear it.

The M&P system encourages you to do just that as it is. The sear release lever can only be activated with the mag removed if you insert a mag you have to activate the release again. The only way you could put a round in the chamber after doing that is to put one round in after releasing the sear and it would still not fire as the sear will not hold the striker back. Pulling the trigger at that point does nothing.

Hoov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The M&P system encourages you to do just that as it is. The sear release lever can only be activated with the mag removed if you insert a mag you have to activate the release again. The only way you could put a round in the chamber after doing that is to put one round in after releasing the sear and it would still not fire as the sear will not hold the striker back. Pulling the trigger at that point does nothing.

Quite honestly, you lost me. Are you saying there is only one way to take a M&P down? If so, I greatly beg to differ. If not, I will shaddup and finish my beer!

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

It's designed that way so you can't really accidentally leave the lever down because inserting a loaded mag lifts the lever up.

spcbrindley

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The sr9's takedown is similar, in that to remove the slide a lever has to be pushed down from inside the ejection port. It can't be done with a mag in place. The trigger on it never has to be pulled for takedown. All that being said I do kind of like the manual safety on it, I find it to be in a good spot for my hand.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok will clarify a few things here.

First off, I can admit that the number of AD or ND due to glocks can be attributed to the market share.

Second as per the cleaning procedures on a glock, never done it. Shot one glock at the range as a rent gun, didn't like it and if someone was selling two comparable pistols one a glock and the other a s&w m&p with the glock at half the price I still wouldn't buy the glock. I cringe just dry firing for practice because I know it's a violation of the rules or handling a firearm, I have to point the weapon at something I don't intend to kill/destroy (usually a door handle, never a person) and squeeze the trigger. I am not a PHD or anything but teaching that it's ok to do something against the rules of proper handling of a weapon that can cause great harm or death is just plain wrong.

Per the break down of the M&P, I said "encourages" There are probably four or five ways to disassemble any firearm though some may not be the prescribed way and others may not allow the weapon to be reassembled and function ever.

Now since this went way off topic beyond the "Why would you want a safety on your handgun?" I hope my statement has clarified my position. . .

Back on topic, the SR-22 I have does have a manual safety. . . as I am not used to it the safety always seems to be in the way when I go to shoot it. Was with a friend who would apply the safety and then set the weapon down. . . I would insert a mag and go to shoot and have to remember to disengage the safety. It was a pain to deal with and distracting. Now if someone has always worked with one and likes it all I can say is have fun. . . enjoy. . . and more power to ya.

I do not feel any added value to a weapon with 7 safeties vs a weapon with 1 safety with the brains between my ear and a finger off the trigger.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are a lot of people that want the same gun our military uses. I understand that an external safety is a US military requirement.

Latest posts

Top Bottom