Why?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevin40_2001

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can someone please explain to me why everyone is buying up ammo like crazy? I mean I know everything that is going on right now but ammo is still going to be around. I see some people selling it but if we all quit buying overpriced crap then eventually the wrong type of hoarders will disappear.

Really anybody out there think that 22lr is going to somehow not be available next year?

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think it is a combination of factors.

1. rumors abound. Anything from banning of "military calibers" to "bullet taxes". What would a military caliber be? When I was in, I used 22lr, 223, 45, 9, 38 and 308 (yeah, yeah, I know, I know). If a 50% "bullet tax" was added, then you have made that up in equity. If you can no longer order thru the mail (didn't we go thru that in 86?), then you would be at the mercy of local supply.

2. Deja Moo. sort of like deja vu, but instead it means "you've seen this bu!!**** before". I went thru it in the 80s and 90s with a Bush ban and then the Clinton years. You couldn't find any ammo during the Clinton fiasco. And then when BO got elected the first time, you couldn't find anything. So people learned. And panicked.

3. I think I can make a quick buck. If you buy out a local supply, they you get to dictate the price. Look at the prices at the last gunshows. 223 for a buck a round!!!

4. You look on the classifieds and armslist and see everyone posting a WTB Ammo, or WTS ammo at highly inflated prices and you think, I better get mine while I can.

5. you replay all those idiot voices in your head that say "he's not going to take your guns" and then hear "If I am re-elected, and Congress sends me an updated Assault Weapons Ban, I will sign it" followed by "The President can take Executive Action on this matter."

That kinda stuff.

Dave

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Makes sense...I guess going through this for the first time will leave some lasting knowledge.

Yes it will. Lots to learn from this.

I freely admit to being an ammo and magazine whore before all of this happened this time, because of what happened to me last time.

During the AWB Clinton got thru, glock and ruger 10/22 mags were going for 75 bucks a pop for factory. After the sunset, anytime I could (if the deal was right) I bought mags and ammo.

hell, I've even bought magazines for guns I don't own just because there was a good deal and there was a chance I might want that gun sometime. I guess part of the reasoning was that if another ban came around and someone had the gun and couldn't find the mags, I might pick it up cheap.

Dave

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can someone please explain to me why everyone is buying up ammo like crazy? I mean I know everything that is going on right now but ammo is still going to be around. I see some people selling it but if we all quit buying overpriced crap then eventually the wrong type of hoarders will disappear.

Really anybody out there think that 22lr is going to somehow not be available next year?

By your question, you might want to take a look at other news sources 1/4 of time and view other opinions of what might be going on. Been to Chicago to buy ammo lately? NY is squeezing, not a lot different as what could happen next year when you have your Med Dr. clear you with the Center of Disease Control approve you to purchase your 22lr's at Walmart? Why else would your Dr. need to to know if you have firearms? Might sound far fetched. If so, then why is our Government spending billions of dollars to have everything set up in place to do it that way?

Also depends on what Executive Orders are signed and what back door deals our leader makes with the various agencies, TSA cavity searches, EPA fines for cow farts that congress was able to defeat, Google to track all emails open to any government agency, etc. How about Obama trying to sign a binding agreements with the UN to forbid all US individuals from owning any small arms that was nixed at the last minute. We were just one signature away by Obama from this happening when it was stopped, (If in fact it did not happen is still questionable, maybe we just need a little more time to implement the agreement)

Remember Obama Care that Congress had to sign so they could see what was in it? It is still being written. Know anything about how that will affect your med bills in the future? Vague Executive Orders are the same.

It is obvious, we are going to do what ever it takes to save the children, nothing else matters, was his statement. You do not count.

Double_tap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fear-mongering is all it, people with trumped ideas that the govt is out to disarm the world so everyone is hoarding. Remember it only takes a couple of crazies to start a panic in a crowd. Eventually all the lemmings will run off the cliff and life will return to normal.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
The ammo scare is still on because, as I read more and more on even this website, most people don't understand how the government works or what they can legally do. Apparently, most seem to think that the Prez. can just issue an order to ban weapons. But to show even more ignorance, even if the Supreme Leader could ban those guns with the stroke of an autopen, what good would the ammo be since it would be illegal to own a gun? Shows how little the general population thinks things through. Our society has become one of instant gratification without forethought of the aftereffects.

Double_tap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The ammo scare is still on because, as I read more and more on even this website, most people don't understand how the government works or what they can legally do. Apparently, most seem to think that the Prez. can just issue an order to ban weapons. But to show even more ignorance, even if the Supreme Leader could ban those guns with the stroke of an autopen, what good would the ammo be since it would be illegal to own a gun? Shows how little the general population thinks things through. Our society has become one of instant gratification without forethought of the aftereffects.

+1, excellent summary

Latest posts

Top Bottom