Will public facilities be able to restrict open carry only?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bulbboy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would hope so

The owner of a building should be able to restrict what goes on in his/her own building.

I just would try not to do business there

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just wondering how this scenario will play out? Will a church be able to restrict open carry only and allow concealed carry?

A church is not a "public facility" as that implies public ownership which a church certainly is not. It is "open to the public" in the same way Wal*Mart is for conducting business with the public.

Any "open to the public" facility is still empowered to make a choice as whether to allow any kind of carry. That part of the law was not changed with the addition of open carry.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"Public" is a euphamism for "government run." Those buildings are off limits altogether under the law. For pivate property, regardless of who is invited there, it is up to the property owner what is allowed there (with the exception of some laws that infringe on this right).

dra1965

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I just was asked about this a few days ago. Personally I don't see a problem with the open carry at all. Anyone should be able to exercise their rights. I just know that there are those that don't care about someone carrying concealed. (out of sight, out of mind) But in regards to open carry in a church some people will be uncomfortable with someone sitting down beside them with a 1911 strapped to their side. I understand this is a new scenario and there is no case law on the matter. I wouldn't ever want to refuse a persons right to carry but can we limit open carry in a house of worship? Just sayin'. Thanks again

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I just was asked about this a few days ago. Personally I don't see a problem with the open carry at all. Anyone should be able to exercise their rights. I just know that there are those that don't care about someone carrying concealed. (out of sight, out of mind) But in regards to open carry in a church some people will be uncomfortable with someone sitting down beside them with a 1911 strapped to their side. I understand this is a new scenario and there is no case law on the matter. I wouldn't ever want to refuse a persons right to carry but can we limit open carry in a house of worship? Just sayin'. Thanks again

Case law has no bearing on this.

Who is this "we" you speak of when referring to limiting OC in a church? If "we" means some group or person with authority over the use of the building, then the answer is "Yes" because nothing in the law concerning the authority of property "owners" to control the use of their property, no matter if it is open to the public for a specific purpose, i.e. commerce, worship, etc. The same laws concerning trespass continue to apply.

It really isn't that hard. Don't overthink this by seeking out something special about churches. People are just as likely to hyperventilate over OC at the mall, grocery store, or walking down the street as they are about church. Your observation about "out of sight, out of mind" is right on the mark and is probably the best point for those who advocate against OC. Plenty of people, on this board and elsewhere, have carried to church without incident and have a pretty good understanding about the old saying on "discretion being the better part of valor".

peanut

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Gun owners that i know that go to church are typically very loyal tithers that typically have better incomes than many of the people that go to church.
So, how much tithes do you want to run off.
I can worship anywhere, i doesn't have to be in church building, and when you tell anyone that they can not open carry in the church I am going to(whether I open carry or not) I will not go to that church again. I will take my tithes somewhere else or I will find a worthy, 2nd Amendment loving cause(tax deductible) to donate to.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Many churches look favorably on mature reliable members of the church conceal carrying during the services... and most all churches will remain conceal carry after Nov. 1st because of all the kids and the fact that some people are simply afraid of guns..and it is their church too and they have a right to feel comfortable / safe in the services.... so the pastors & board members will try to accommodate them by not mentioning weapons being in the building... out-of-sight / out-of-mind. Some parents who don't attend church, but allow their kids to go... might keep their kids at home if the kid came home and said they saw people with guns at church.

But the pastors & board members recognize that churches are target rich environments for nut-jobs and armed robbery these days. I know one member that carries a 1911 in the small of his back, under his suit jacket. I will carry my LCP and sometimes my G23 or 19. Our church has men in the lobby area and around the children's Sunday school area during services. And they watch the parking lot too.

Earlier this year, my neighbor's wife had the windshield knocked out of her van and her purse stolen.. during Sunday School [She attends a different chuch than I do.]. For some reason the guy broke out the windshield, instead of a side window... it cost her a small fortune [insurance deductible was $500] for the lesson not to leave her purse or valuables in view. She is just lucky that she didn't have her Conceal Carry Weapon in her purse.

Latest posts

Top Bottom