With price of gold so high is anybody here recreational gold prospectors?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Navy_chief

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Guys,
Way before gold prices skyrocket I use to do some recreational dredging and panning when I was stationed out in Washington State. Back in the early 90's never found much maybe 1/2 oz at the most but always thought about getting back into it again. I do have a 4" dredge with air at my mother house in New Mexico and used it once. I guess I need to dust it off and get back into it again. The problem is the Damn EPA has such bad restrictions for people wanting to get dredging permits in most states. Your thoughts?
Matt

Navy_chief

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought about trying it just for kicks.. The kiddos would probably enjoy it.....for about 10 minutes... there's a place down clayton on the Kiamichi river that allows panning on their section.

http://www.kriver.com/

That is cool I did not know about this area I use to be a GPAA member years ago. I knew that in the medicine park area they use to pan for gold years ago there.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My neighbor and I have talked about panning some creeks, just never got ahold of the famous roundtuit. I know some gold has been found downstream of a creek that runs through my land. We may make a trip up to this place sometime.
Thanks for the information.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always thought the equipment and set up would set you back from making a decent profit. Have you guys ever known anyone who has made any real money doing it? (ie worth the time, effort and expense)

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll have to dig through some photos but I was talking about my Nome beach mining endeavors with some people last week. This was my setup from a few years back. The only equipment I shipped up there was my 4 wheeler and pumps and hoses. The rest I picked up from stuff that people had left behind. Prospecting and recreational mining equipment doesn't have to be expensive.

I pulled 20 ounces out in 6 weeks that summer. Would really like to go back this summer. Will probaby head back to Chicken and do some prospecting on the 40 Mile. Had really good luck there 3 summers ago.

i31.photobucket.com_albums_c359_akbushcop_beachmininglarge.jpg

Navy_chief

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Its a blast I hope I can get back into it again down the road maybe next summer will get my dredge permits for New Mexico and get to dredging again. I would like to try and find some Oklahoma Gold I do have a portable Highbanker set-up to use.

Latest posts

Top Bottom