Woman rips off 1.5 million dollars worth of chicken wings.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T. MIKE SMITH

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was a butcher for the old Humpty Dumpty Grocery chain back in the 70's-80's- when I first started, we still cut up chickens at the store. We cut parts and packed some whole bird cut up. We could hardly sell the wings and they were marked down to 9 cents a pound. I kind of got hooked on them because they were so cheap, and I was married at 20 with a wife in college, and I spent what was left on reloading supplies. I laugh a lot on how popular wings have become and run $2-$3 a pound now. Funny what we use to put no value on that now gets you time in jail if you rip them off.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep, my Dad was a butcher at Safeway in the '60s. He always laughed at people ordering fajita in a restaurant and it being the most expensive thing on the menu.
"Most times I threw that crap in the hog barrel (local hog farmer picked up barrels of meat and produce scrap). Had one old Mexican that would buy it, for $0.06 pound."

Our small, local store has wings $3.99#. They can keep them.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
$1.5mil is ALOT of chicken wings. I don’t remember seeing reference to it in the article, but I have to believe she was selling them to a local business.
Stealing from schools is evidently a pretty common thing, because the rural school my wife teaches at has had two instances in the last couple years. One was the baseball coach, and the other was the band director.

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can't say I blame her. If it wouldn't put me in the ground and keep me from the kids and grandkids I'd eat hot wings for every meal. I'm still trying to tweak my own recipe to where I like it best.

Lobster used to be the same way. Bugs fed to the workers and the lower class. Now they're high dollar items.

Then again, maybe she's like this woman:

T. MIKE SMITH

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep, my Dad was a butcher at Safeway in the '60s. He always laughed at people ordering fajita in a restaurant and it being the most expensive thing on the menu.
"Most times I threw that crap in the hog barrel (local hog farmer picked up barrels of meat and produce scrap). Had one old Mexican that would buy it, for $0.06 pound."

Our small, local store has wings $3.99#. They can keep them.
Ya, we didn't even know skirt steak was good for anything except maybe hamburger if it was fresh enough. It is on the outside of the front quarter and if they hung in the cooler a couple days, that outside edge could turn dark and we didn't even want in grinding meat. When oil got strong around El Reno, a lot of Texans started showing up wanting it. We had to start pulling it out and packing it. Time consuming piece to work on is why its marked up so much.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
$1.5mil is ALOT of chicken wings. I don’t remember seeing reference to it in the article, but I have to believe she was selling them to a local business.
Stealing from schools is evidently a pretty common thing, because the rural school my wife teaches at has had two instances in the last couple years. One was the baseball coach, and the other was the band director.
It makes me wonder if the school district (like so many gov organizations) is paying ten times as much for something as John Q. Public can walk into the store and pay. :yikes2:

Latest posts

Top Bottom