Wondering if I should buy this gun? Col 1903

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

68mustang

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For some reason I've been wanting a 1903. I found one, but it's in Indiana. It's a gen I with the 4in barrel. It looks to be in good shape. I emailed the guy and he would be willing to ship it to my ffl for 325. He said it's been reblued and has some slight pitting. What do you all think? Good buy or not?

[Broken External Image]

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds kinda sketchy. M1903 prices at gun shows around here range from $400-600 (I bought one at the RK show in OKC two Sundays ago for $475). I'd be wary, as suggested above, unless you're really sure the guy is on the up-and-up, in which case it sounds like a deal that is almost too good to be true.

68mustang

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well the guy has a shop, sorry i guess I should have mentioned it. He is a shop in Indiana. I found his dealer ad. I looked up his store in google and a couple of forums had good reviews about him. So is that a pretty good price for the gun? i'm not too concerned about the refinish because I'll have that done later, but is it a good price if everything is on the up and up?

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I'd think if he's paying the shipping, you're probably getting the gun for $310-315. So, yes, that is a good price on what is a rather rare example of the M1903 (the vast majority of which had the 3 3/4 inch barrels). The grips aren't original (should be black Bakelite on one that early), nor is the finish, but if you're looking for a shooter rather than a collector piece, that is one heck of a deal.

Josh Smith

Marksman
Reaction score
For some reason I've been wanting a 1903. I found one, but it's in Indiana. It's a gen I with the 4in barrel. It looks to be in good shape. I emailed the guy and he would be willing to ship it to my ffl for 325. He said it's been reblued and has some slight pitting. What do you all think? Good buy or not?

[Broken External Image]

Hello,

I'm in Indiana. If he's anywhere nearby, I can check it out for you. Ask him for his location. I'm in Wabash, which is north-central.

Sorry for the post size. Just don't want to see folks taken! I know these pistols well enough to check them out, but have no desire to have one myself, so no danger there.

Regards,

Josh

Josh Smith

Marksman
Reaction score
Hello,

I got your PM. I'll post the reply here for perpetuity's sake:

He is about 46 miles away. I could go look at it! Or, if he's willing, meet me halfway in Swayzee at their cafe diner.

If you mention Swayzee to him, he'll know you're serious. There's only one Swayzee in the world -- their claim to fame -- and so far as I know that diner is the only place to eat there. I'd be glad to check it out there.

I can even get ahold of an Internet buddy who lives there. He's been on me for a bit to come shoot rifles with him. He's an older gent and may know the 1903 as well! I'll email him and ask him of the place's reputation, anyway.

Regards,

Josh

I'll make the full drive if I need to though. I'd hate to see you get burned.

Josh

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks,he did say that would be 325 shipped. thinking about doing this down the line since its been refinished: http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=335930
68mustang, I understand the sentiment here, as it was that exact gun pictured that really drove me to buy both my M1903 and my M1908. I saw that same gun on another website, and, as I remember, the owner was asked about the cost to do something like that, and replied, as best I remember, that it was in the $4000-4500 range. The guys at Heirloom Precision do fantastic work, but it comes at a price! Good luck in your efforts to find one of these fine little pistols.

Latest posts

Top Bottom