World Backup Day

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yesterday was world backup day.

If anything on your computer is important, you need backups. If you go for the *cloud* services you can usually get out for $5/mo or so.
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/maintenance/tp/online_backup_services.htm

If you would rather back up to disk, software like Crashplan will also let you back up to external hard drives, which you can drop off in a safety deposit box or w/e. With Crashplan you can also back up to a friend or family member's hard drive over the internet. It is totally encrypted so you have security.

If you have any questions, this is an open thread to discuss anything backup-related.

Last edited:

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is great advice. We dudes in the IT world deal with crashed drives on a weekly if not daily basis. Even the newer solid-state drives will fold up like a deck chair.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is great advice. We dudes in the IT world deal with crashed drives on a weekly if not daily basis. Even the newer solid-state drives will fold up like a deck chair.

Absolutely. A little due diligence today can save people some headaches.

The home solutions mentioned are drop-dead easy. If anyone needs help then we should be able to get them running in no time.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
LC and FT, what are your thoughts on this service:

http://ww2.cox.com/residential/centralflorida/support/internet/article.cox?articleId={778df9b0-9b5a-11e0-7828-000000000000}

which is "free" for Cox subscribers? I haven't used it (yet), because I haven't read the fine print to see if there are any unsavory conditions in the terms of use. Just wondering if you knew anything about it.

I suspect many (most?) have Cox as they are perhaps the ubiquitous television/phone/internet provider in the metro areas.

Blinocac200sx

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have a completely redundant system at work. Virtual servers running on ESX machines, a Netapp 2020 files server. The whole set-up is duplicated off site at a bunker in Edmund. All of my important files are on this system, none of the files I have that aren't on that system, are of any consequence or be easily replicated.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
LC and FT, what are your thoughts on this service:

http://ww2.cox.com/residential/centralflorida/support/internet/article.cox?articleId={778df9b0-9b5a-11e0-7828-000000000000}

which is "free" for Cox subscribers? I haven't used it (yet), because I haven't read the fine print to see if there are any unsavory conditions in the terms of use. Just wondering if you knew anything about it.

I suspect many (most?) have Cox as they are perhaps the ubiquitous television/phone/internet provider in the metro areas.

for a lot of people it is only 1gb, which won't hold much and isn't any better than dropbox's free account.

generally i'd argue against it because you might switch ISPs

Latest posts

Top Bottom