Your cool and interesting ancestors

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
View attachment 228741[

URL unfurl="true"]https://www.amazon.com/Love-Company-Infantry-Japanese-2002-04-30/dp/B01JXQRRXY[/URL]

This book was written by a friend of my dad in Okinawa. I've met and talked with Don several times.
Dad always said, if you want to know what he did in Okinawa, read that book. Don died a year before dad in 2017. I enjoyed dad's 96th Infantry reunions. Especially with his company's buddies.
ill look for a copy thanks

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is my great great great great grandfather George A Knight.
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/32788226/george-augustus-knight
George A. Knight, United States Marshal for the Northern District of Texas, was born in the State of New York, where he passed his childhood and youth. He made the most of his educational opportunities, and what was lacking in training has been made up to him by that less gentle teacher, experience. At a comparative early age he began steamboating on the Ohio river, and continued the business for many years. He filled the position of clerk and pilot, and was made Captain before leaving the river. He became thoroughly familiar with the Ohio from its source to its mouth, and had many narrow escapes from dangers incident to river life. At the beginning of the Civil war he enlisted in the One Hundred and Eighty-eighth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and carried his musket through three years of active service in camp and field. He trod his weary way through long marches, and participated in battles and sieges, passing into dangers and trials that are not met outside the battlefield. Upon the expiration of his term of enlistment he joined the One Hundred and Eighty-eight Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and served until the surrender. He was never wounded and was never in the hospital. He was promoted successively to the rank of Captain, and afterwards served on General Van Cleve's Staff as Assistant Adjutant General. After the close of the conflict he returned to steamboating, but after a brief service he connected himself with the railroads south of the Ohio river, as a transportation agent. He then entered upon a career that covered twenty years of active and faithful service; he traveled over every portion of the United States, gaining an unlimited fund of information on all railroad topics. In 1882 Mrs. Knight came to Texas as the Southwestern representative of the Pennsylvania company with headquarters at Dallas. He filled this position until 1887, when he connected himself with the ‘Frisco Line in the capacity of Southwestern Passenger Agent with a jurisdiction over Texas, Louisiana, New Mexico and Indian Territory. He discharged the duties of this office with the usual zeal and energy that have characterized his transactions until his appointment as United States Marshall, his commission being signed within ten days of the application, on the 9th day of April, 1889, by President Harrison. His second commission, which is for four years, was signed January 27, 1890. He has 100,000 miles under his control as Marshall, and three federal courts, one at Waco, one at Graham, and one at Dallas. The services of from fifteen to eighteen deputies are required; but so perfectly are the forces organized that a greater number of criminals has been captured than in all previous administrations. He is mustering officer of the G. A. R., and the rapidly increasing membership is largely owing to his interest in the Post. In 1865 Mr. Knight was married, and has six surviving children. The eldest son is Postmaster at Pecos City, Texas, and two sons are assisting their father. The Captain is a stanch supporter of Republican principles. He is a man of the highest sense of honor and commands the respect and entire confidence of the community

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, i'll go. The following story is a retelling of a story written in an old bible my father's side of the family has passed down. It starts out, "How we came to be in Texas". It's not word for word but the gist is all there.

So way back in the 1800s, sometime about 1865 or 1969 (hard to make out) my great, great grandfather lived in a little house just outside of town somewhere in Tennessee. . He was sitting on his porch watching a buzzard glide back and forth across the sky when his neighbor came out and they started talking. I'm sure a lot of "Yeps" and "Uh Huh's" went back and forth but eventually the neighbor said something to the effect of "I bet you can't shoot that buzzard".
GGGpa said, "Sure I can."
"Betcha can't"
"That bird ain't that high. My kid could shoot it"
"Hmm...Betcha can't."
My GGGpa was a very hot tempered Scot. He probably mouthed off at this point with words that would soundly justify his warm, sunny destination after meeting St Peter, but he stood up, threw up his rifle, and brought that buzzard straight to the ground, landing on the "betcha" guy's side of the fence.
Betcha guy went out and tossed it back on GGGpa's side.
GGGPa said, "You wanted it, that's your bird now".
Betcha guy said, "You shot it, it's yours".
Buzzards tend to stink, so as they're slinging this bird back and forth across the fence the smell is getting worse.
Finally GGGpa says, "That's your D* bird and you'll keep it!", He tosses the bird far over the fence one more time. Then as Betcha guy goes to pick it up GGGPa shoots him in the butt. Ends up smooth killing the guy.
After that he and GGGmaw lit out of there and moved to Texas. And the rest is history. He never went to jail for it as far as I know, but he did end up having 9 kids so I guess he stayed busy.

His grandson ended up becoming a pastor and built one of the first churches in a little town around Abilene. It's still used today.

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My Great Grandmother lived to the age of 109. Really 109, it's verified, not just a family lore, and she even has a book written about her life and times available on Amazon.

The cool thing is she was born in 1866 and during her lifetime she saw the coming of good roads, highways, radio then tv, automobiles and planes then jet planes and spacecraft, and a man walk on the moon. She lived from cooking on a wood stove to eventually having a microwave oven. Isn't that amazing? Just think of what she lived through, I don't think any other person will live through the technological advances she did. And not to mention from pretty much nonexistent medical care where people died often and easily from what is now, at the year of her passing, to much better medical care. Measles mumps chicken pox, polio, TB, etc and the vaccines that took care of those things. From no electricity or utilities to what we have now, safe and useful including clean safe water, etc.

GnometownHero

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My dad is 95, still driving, shoots 1000yd with an 03 Springfield, he had lasix surgery when he was 75, so he can still shoot. At age 82 he published a book called Unlikely Warrior about his Army days. He was at Remagen bridge with the 9th Armored Div. Radio man in a half track for the military governor, so he got all the Intel and updates before anyone else.
[email protected] if you want a copy, it is a good read.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My Great Grandmother lived to the age of 109. Really 109, it's verified, not just a family lore, and she even has a book written about her life and times available on Amazon.

The cool thing is she was born in 1866 and during her lifetime she saw the coming of good roads, highways, radio then tv, automobiles and planes then jet planes and spacecraft, and a man walk on the moon. She lived from cooking on a wood stove to eventually having a microwave oven. Isn't that amazing? Just think of what she lived through, I don't think any other person will live through the technological advances she did. And not to mention from pretty much nonexistent medical care where people died often and easily from what is now, at the year of her passing, to much better medical care. Measles mumps chicken pox, polio, TB, etc and the vaccines that took care of those things. From no electricity or utilities to what we have now, safe and useful including clean safe water, etc.
Yea what a time to live from nothing to almost anything you want they saw ALOT!

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, my dad was kicked out of the Marines During Vietnam for drinking, ended up driving dump trucks and a bulldozer in Georgia to help build the modern highway system. His stepdad was a Marine, fought on Guam and Iwo Jima, ended up becoming a drill instructor and a lover of manhandling his wife and kids. My dad only mentioned him once, but supposedly my biological grandfather was in Europe as a Marine, and his father was supposedly in WW1, possibly in the Marines. You’ll never guess what branch I joined. I also have an uncle on that side who supposedly spent a lot of time in Europe during the Cold War working in the CIA. Talk about a guy who has stories that everyone wants to hear, but can never tell.

On my moms side my great great great great great uncle/grandpa (that far back does it really matter?) was Sir Thomas Gresham, who founded the Royal Exchange and in his passing, the Gresham College in London. He was also the principal economic advisor to Queen Elizabeth I of England, as well as working with King Henry VI, and Queen Mary I. He’s also the originator of “Gresham’s Law”, which states that “Bad money drives out good”.

Jack Shootza 50

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have three diaries from a great great great something grandfather from the Civil War. He wrote about marching all over Arkansas and Missouri and down to Mississippi. He was on the union side from Illinois.
I had a distant cousin on my dad's (my grandmother) side of the family who was wounded at Gettysburg and after was sent home with half of his left leg missing. Thirty some years ago I found a home town newspaper article that was stuck in behind the felt of a small wooden compass box about his ordeal at Gettysburg, my dad didn't know what happened to it until I showed it to him but remembered my grandfather reading the article to him when he was a kid.

Latest posts

Top Bottom