Your cool and interesting ancestors

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My brother was really into history and researched our great ,great, great, grandfather (I'm not sure how many greats) Dr. William Rickman. He was born in England in 1731. He was a Captain in the British Navy and came to America. He served with the British during the French and Indian War. He owned the Kittiwan Plantation that was down the James River from the Berkeley Plantation . The Berkeley Plantation was owned by Benjamin Harrison V ,a signer of the Declaration of Independence. Dr. Rickman married Benjamin Harrison's daughter Elizabeth after his first wife died. He was good friends with George Washington and frequently wrote him. When the Revolutionary War started Dr. Rickman was voted to be the Director of Hospitals and Head Surgeon of the Continental Army. He later because of health issues retired from service at the rank of Colonel. Kittiwan is registered as a National Historic Place.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My Granny once told me the story (largely forgotten) of a relative who got hanged for stealing a horse in N. Carolina, where they were from. Family was forced to move (to N. Texas and finally S. Oklahoma) and change their family name from Tarr to Darr. I was a little boy at the time she told this, so a lot of detail is forgotten, but that was the gist of it.

More recently (1930), one of Granny's brothers robbed the bank at Wirt and paid for it with a long stint in The Big House at McAlester. He was still there in the 50's. I think he died there.

On the other hand, all 4 of my Mother's brothers went overseas during WWII and all made it back; 2 from Europe and 2 from the Pacific.

That picture up there on the left is me at my Granny and Grandpa's old dirt farm 3 1/2 miles north of Healdton, where I was born. Some good days spent there.

No Rockerfellers, Edisons or such. Just good old Okies.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My great-great-great grandfather, Nathan "Tash" Huff was known as "the meanest man in Tennessee"

He was indicted for first degree murder in 1872, but the charges were dismissed because the father of the victim refused to testify against him.

He reportedly got tired of hearing one of his wives nag, so he sat her on the hot wood stove and held her there until she caught fire.

That's it... that's all I got. The rest of my family is boring. :rollingla

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Charles Albert Varnum is my great great grand father. He was Lieutenant of Scouts under Custer at the Big Horn. He survived there and went on to win a Congressional Medal of Honor at the Drexel Mission fight, and fought in the Philippines in the early 1900s. On my mom's side was Colonel Herbert Tatum Confederate cavalry of the Army of Virginia.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Funny that someone mentioned a horse thief. Years ago, when my dad was still young, a preacher and his wife were doing genealogical research and stopped to visit my paternal grandparents. The preacher's wife was going on and on and on about the relations they had found, so my grandpa, being a bit of a smart-ass, asked if they'd found the horse thief yet, because every family tree has a horse thief in it. She apparently sputtered about how this was a fine, upstanding family with no horse thieves in it, but Grandpa insisted that she let him know when she found the horse thief, which pretty much shut her up.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I havre some interesting family. Not Well known but one developed something that just about everyone on here has used many times in their lives, directly or indirectly.

My grandfather on my moms side held the patten on the (not the shoping cart itself) way the toddler seat in the shopping cart folds closed as well as the way the shoppng carts stack together into each other. My aunt who is now 73 was the toddler in the advertizing brochures for the new concept. At the time he owned an industrial cart manufacturing company. Needless to say he retired before he was 50 years old.

My mom's great, great aunt or something like that was Gene Stratton Porter. She was a famous author, writer and naturalists from the early 1900s. My aunt Genie, shopping cart toddler seat model, was named after her.

The not so great family history: My dad's dad was born and raised on what I was told the Cherokee reservation in Tahlequah. He was born with a different last name than I have now. Apparently his father had a couple horses and the story is that something happened between his horse and a black man and the man punched his horse in the nose or head and the horse flipped out. Seems as though my grandfather's dad ended up killing the man for doing this. The story goes that the local authorities knew he killed the man and told him to pack up he and his family (my grandfather was jsut a little kid at the time) and leave Oklahoma or he would be arrested for murder. They packed up and moved to the central valley of CA. My grandfather was in and out of prison much of his life and was a rough old crusty man that lived a rough, hard life that was mostly self induced.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have a famous criminal in our family history.
Blackjack Ketchum was a train robber and thief. (Ketchum Oklahoma on grand lake is named after the legal part of his family)
He was caught and sentenced to hang in Clayton NM.
There was a little issue though. They miscalculated his weight and the length of the rope which resulted in popping his head off when he dropped.
https://www.thevintagenews.com/2016/11/23/the-hanging-of-black-jack-ketchum-didnt-go-as-planned/
I knew we were related to the Ketchum name but on a trip back from New Mexico a few years back we stopped in Clayton for lunch and found a large board with pics of the hanging.
My sister has done an in-depth study of our families history, publishing two books.
The only other famous person is Gabby Hayes who was the cook on the TV series Rawhide. Never knew or saw him other than on TV.

Latest posts

Top Bottom