Your perception of tattoos and people who have them?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKMinuteman

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not favorably impressed by tats or those that have them. Whatever tickles your tutu but anything that detracts from the individuals marketabily of themself is a negative. If I'm looking for an engineer, or heart surgon or even a daycare employee to watch over the safety of my grandchildren I don't want to have to personally get through the ink. If I'm looking for minimun wage type or even a competent midlevel employee, ink that I don't have to explain to my grandchildren wouldn't disqualify the intelligent individual. In a competive world it is a distraction to the person that "should" want to make a compent impression.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I keep trying to talk the wife into getting this tattoo:

[Broken External Image]
I keep revisiting this thread just to see this photograph (which fascinates me)
I don't have a tatoo but now I'm considering one. I'd like a tatoo of this young woman's tatooed ass tatooed to my forhead. It would be hip. It would be postmodern. It would be ironic.

MFCEO

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Placement is very key as SMS said, one tattoo placed wrong can turn from sexy to trashy.

I generally stereotype most tattoo'd guys, and rarely am I proven wrong on them being the above average DB.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have several tats and will be getting more. I dont judge and dont care how many of where they are on a lady. The inside is more important to me. I just married a lady with one small one. I would have married her if she had a full sleeve on both arms and a Mike Tyson face tattoo.

Yeah, but you're a straight up thug.

gl55

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You're now assuming that they were on any kind of assistance when they got the tattoos. Let's see how many more ridiculous assumptions you can make in this thread.

Then perhaps when they had money for tats and food they should have been putting some money away for hard times so others wouldn't have to pay their way through life with their tax dollars. I'm glad you approve of tatted up people using SNAP cards and choose to defend them. I'm really glad. I am. I don't. Sorry.

cody6766

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My take on them is location, location, location.
Tats on a girl can be really...unfortunate if overdone, IMO. The example the OP mentioned is a perfect example. Small tats done in good taste and easily concealable are fine, large pieces (although often nice pieces of art) aren't attractive to me at all. The girl would have to really have something going for her for me to make the effort if I was in the OP's situation. A pretty face (unless she's off the charts) wouldn't be enough.
That said, I won't avoid contact with someone because of tattoos. I just don't find them attractive. If I was approached by a pretty girl with a sleeve, I'd give her the time of day and it would probably be something I could get past if she was worth it. It still wouldn't be a positive aspect, but it could be watered down by personality. The same goes for friends. I'm not going to not be friends with someone because they have a sleeve, but you bet your ass they'll be pre-judged if it's trashy, and maybe avoided at first. Like it or not, appearance has a bearing on first impressions.
And all that said...the above statements are predicated on me having never met my wife and being woefully single, haha. She has a small, cute little tattoo right below her waist line and I have one between my shoulder blades. Tattoos can be awesome, they just have to be thought out, well done and placed with consideration for future employment.

Are you saying my tattoos make me look incompetent?

I'm just asking. Many of the highest paid individuals in my field have sleeves.
Nope, but I'd say your tattoos, if on your neck, arms, face, hands, etc. will make you unfit for certain jobs. If I ran a business and needed to hire someone to work directly with my customer base or other business associates, I would not hire someone with visible tattoos. I might be able to look past a small one on the wrist or one that may peak out from below a T-shirt sleeve, but that's honestly pushing it. If I was looking for someone to work in the back of the house, in a garage or in a place where tattoos are generally not a taboo item (game design comes to mind for some reason...I dont' know, never worked in it) then I don't think the tattoo would be a factor. You could be the best employee in the world, but if you don't put a good face on the company when you interact with those outside of the business, you're a liability, not an asset. Someone could be hired on that did the job at 90% of your abilities and do an overall better job if they make a clean, well presented first impression to the client. That's why people wear suits, tucked in shirts and keep their hair neat. The suit doesn't make you a better employee anymore than not having a tattoo does, but it presents a cleaner image. Like it or not, perception is important. People don't wear their work ethic, morals or personality on their skin. The first impression has to start somewhere, and it's usually appearance.

Don't take this as an attack on you. It was a general statement on the subject and the question you asked.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Then perhaps when they had money for tats and food they should have been putting some money away for hard times so others wouldn't have to pay their way through life with their tax dollars. I'm glad you approve of tatted up people using SNAP cards and choose to defend them. I'm really glad. I am. I don't. Sorry.

Bad times happen to everyone, tattooed or not. I'm not defending the people using the cards. I don't know their story. Neither do you. I'm glad you cling to bigotry. I'm really glad. I am. I don't. Sorry.

Latest posts

Top Bottom