2023 Deer Pics/Chat/Excuses

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon3830

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I tried getting a picture when he was looking at me because he was wide and only 4 points

Attachments

• 20231118_064729.jpg
    20231118_064729.jpg
    570.3 KB · Views: 0

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
This is probably not going to be well received by many folks on here, but I pretty much call it like I see it.
One thing I found out when I started deer hunting in Oklahoma 20 years ago is that the vast majority of OK resident hunters have an almost obsession with “filling their buck tag”.
It sounds like your neighbor is definitely that kind of hunter, and unfortunately for you, his actions are going to directly affect your hunting.
As I’ve mentioned many times, I’ve got fence hunting neighbors too, but they at least attempt to kill mature bucks. There’s a good chance when the land owner south of me dies I’m going to end up with an outfitter for a neighbor which could very well change everything for me.
That should be a change for the better I would think. Hopefully it will be an outfitter with size/age restrictions.

Hirschkopf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m 600 miles toward my OK place, with 420 to go. Next year I’ll wait until I actually make it there before paying $300 for a nonresident deer permit because I almost didn’t even get out of the Phoenix area. About 10 miles from home I threaded my SUV and trailer through a 3 car and median barrier chain reaction accident that played out right in front of me. Car pieces were still spinning in 3 of 4 lanes as I drove over them. If I’d have been a few car lengths forward, I’d have been SOL. Sure wish I had a dash cam to be able to replay the event!

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m 600 miles toward my OK place, with 420 to go. Next year I’ll wait until I actually make it there before paying $300 for a nonresident deer permit because I almost didn’t even get out of the Phoenix area. About 10 miles from home I threaded my SUV and trailer through a 3 car and median barrier chain reaction accident that played out right in front of me. Car pieces were still spinning in 3 of 4 lanes as I drove over them. If I’d have been a few car lengths forward, I’d have been SOL. Sure wish I had a dash cam to be able to replay the event!
That’s crazy!!! I’m sure glad y’all didn’t get tangled up in that mess.
I always buy my archery license before I leave the house, but I never buy a muzzleloader or rifle license until I get there and check ALL the cameras. My cell cams give me a pretty decent picture of what’s going on, but I have a few non cell cams that usually tip the scale as to whether It’s worth dropping another $300. That’s what will happen this week for sure. The way things are looking right now there’s a good chance I may spend more time sitting on the bank of the river trying to call in a duck than sitting in a deer stand. :anyone:

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have some “meat hunters” I’ve known for years as co-workers next to the Salt Fork place. They shoot anything that has an antler.
I pulled up to their truck a couple years ago with a 150” buck in the back of mine. Their 90 lb field dressed fork horns couldn’t compare to the approx 190 pounds of field dressed buck in mine. I keep telling them to shoot does and let the bucks walk to get bigger so they have more “meat”, but it fell on deaf ears.
That’s the reason I don’t hunt that property. Years of game cam videos show nothing bigger than 120” bucks.
It takes cooperation among neighbors to make big bucks.
And this is exactly why it sorta chaps my azz when I hear that "out of state deer hunters" are the reason why there are deer population concerns in parts of OK, or many parts of OK can't grow world-class size bucks, or whatever silly argument they bring up for out of staters. 9/10 out of state hunters don't want to spend all the time and money they do to tag-out on a spike or fork horn. And, 9/10 it's the locals that say they are hunting for the freezer, to feed their family, so they take the spike claiming it's a cull. B.S.!!! IMO, they are generally ignorant and don't give a chit but then blame others for the deer population issues. I haven't checked the regs in several years but can't a resident hunter take 3-5 does per entire season? Lots more and better tasting meat in the does.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And this is exactly why it sorta chaps my azz when I hear that "out of state deer hunters" are the reason why there are deer population concerns in parts of OK, or many parts of OK can't grow world-class size bucks, or whatever silly argument they bring up for out of staters. 9/10 out of state hunters don't want to spend all the time and money they do to tag-out on a spike or fork horn. And, 9/10 it's the locals that say they are hunting for the freezer, to feed their family, so they take the spike claiming it's a cull. B.S.!!! IMO, they are generally ignorant and don't give a chit but then blame others for the deer population issues. I haven't checked the regs in several years but can't a resident hunter take 3-5 does per entire season? Lots more and better tasting meat in the does.
I can assure you that Texas hunters aren’t paying $900 to hunt in Oklahoma just to fill the freezer when they can do it for less than $50 at home.🤣

Latest posts

Top Bottom