7.5 inch AR Upper question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

omegis13

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

For a subsonic round, 9mm will almost always carry more kinetic energy than a 5.56 projectile. Under Newtonian physics, the equation for kinetic energy is

E(k) = (mv^2)/2

where m = mass, v = velocity. At standard temp, pressure, and elevation, an object can move no faster than 1125 ft/s before it creates a sonic boom, but the exact speed we decide on here is really irrelevant, because in the experiment and the equation, it is a constant when considering both rounds. On any given day, fired under the same conditions, both a 9mm projectile and a .223 projectile will have to reach the same minimum speed in order to create a sonic boom, which for the sake of the experiment, is something we wish to avoid.

popular subsonic 9mm ammo seems to be at weights of 147gr and 158gr. Most of the weights I am seeing for subsonic 5.56 seem to float around 100gr.

Could a person theoretically manufacture a much lighter subsonic 9mm cartridge or a much heavier sub sonic 5.56 cartridge? Absolutely, but what's the point? When you have an upper boundary you must stay under such as the sound barrier, the only other option that exists for moving more energy with a projectile is increasing the mass of the projectile itself.

z06man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Either way it supresses. I'm sure it is far from quiet using standard ammo. I'll leave someone that has one to more fully answer that. I know at least a couple of people on here have them. I think I read a thread on it in the NFA section.

264Magnum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK here we go...
I don't own one, but the only negatives I've heard are you obviously are going to lose a fair amount of power with such a short barrel and that they are incredibly loud.
Being loud isn't always a negative, in fact its the main reason I built mine. Pure, unadulterated awesomeness.

Since I'm not an AR person (yet), what exactly is the tactical or strategic advantage of such a short AR? I can understand 14.5" or even 11" for CQB scenarios or guns that are normally stored in vehicles, but I just can't wrap my head around why anyone would need/want to go any shorter than that other than just because they can.
None. 10.5" is typically the shortest you'd want to go on a true battle rifle. I've heard of quite a few SWAT guys running 7.5", but they're only shooting across rooms, so they're not as hindered by the short barrel as an Army Ranger would be.

That just seems absurd to me though. At that point, why not just go with an MP5, particularly when you're talking about running a can? This makes more sense to me seeing as both will be sub sonic anyway and the 9mm will carry more energy due to it's heavier bullet.
Your logic seems absurd to me. Have you priced MP5's lately? Nobody runs a can on a 7.5" barrel, the massive pressure coming out the barrel can damage the baffles.

Even out of a 7.5" barrel the 5.56 is not going to be subsonic, so I don't know how any of this is relevant.
:werd:

Either way it supresses. I'm sure it is far from quiet using standard ammo. I'll leave someone that has one to more fully answer that. I know at least a couple of people on here have them. I think I read a thread on it in the NFA section.
When I put my can on my 16" AR, its as quiet as a .22. I've never ran subsonic through it.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Supersonic suppressed 5.56 is amazingly quiet. So you get a sonic crack....who cares? It pretty much sounds like unsuppressed .22LR. Much better than touching off an unsuppressed 5.56 indoors with no ears on.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know of any suppressor manufacturer that will warrant their cans on barrels under 10". Even if the can works fine on the 7.5", it's life will be reduced considerably.

RobC

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
RobC posted some pics of his new can after a few hundred rounds on a 10.5" AR. It wasn't pretty.

Found the thread

I could post some new pics of my NT4 since I took those. That can now has about 3,000 rounds on my ten inch gun, and about 1,000 through my 14.5 gun, and I can't say that I notice any change in sound. The blast baffle still looks like the surface of the moon, but it's still a Knight's can, not to mention The 5.56 caliber rifle Silencer, so it's blast baffle is thicker than probably all others on the market. Plus, it's all inconel, so while it weighs a ton, if I haven't broken it by now, it's probably good to go for a while. I have had it glowing red, quenched it in cold water, and done it again. It's still my favorite AR silencer. I will say that the finish looks a lot nastier, but I'm still impressed that it has put up with temps that set a picnic table on fire.

Rob

Latest posts

Top Bottom