Age yourself by naming a store/business that no longer exists that you frequented.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Gas Stations. Real Gas Stations. Branded and usually individually owned.

Growing up in a small town in Oklahoma quite a few of my school age friends Dads owned a gas station.

There's nothing left anymore like that.

Apco. Kerr McGee, Texaco, Gulf, Conoco, Phillips 66. Mobil.

As a kid, I had a part time job after school for gas money. CR Anthonys, Montgomery Wards. Black & Decker repair center down on Linwood Blvd in OKC. I learned to repair circular saws, hedge trimmers, drills, all kinds of power tools. You didn't need to throw away the tool, we fixed them.

In fact, there was an electric razor repair shop in OKC.

Clothing: Harolds, Orbachs, The Squire Shop, Artistic Re-Weavers over on Classen fixed a lot of clothing. They repaired a small hole in my best suit.
Sears was a power house back in the day.

RexHall Drugs (I'm sure I spelled that wrong) or was it RXHall Drug stores.

Sears was a powerhouse back then.

Shepherd Mall was the place to go in OKC. Penn Square Mall was an open air place, not enclosed or with a 2nd story Crossroads Mall was the other hot trendy place to go. Quail Springs Mall didn't even exist then.

Cains Coffee Company on Broadway Extension near Memorial Road. They actually roasted the coffee. I had a job near there and when the wind was blowing right the coffee smelled pretty darn good. When the wind blew differently, the Purina plant stunk. Ugh.

Andy Andersons, Southwest Shooters, Mashburn Arms, were the go-to places for shooting and outdoor sports. Fred Baker Firearms was at 23rd & MacArthur in a corner of the strip mall (a few doors up from the movie theatre) before he moved a few blocks south, on the west side of MacArthur. You were sometimes lucky to actually get waited on in Freds. Crazy way to spend money, lazy assed sales folks. I spent a LOT of money in those.

(Let's just agree to NOT talk about Linda Soundtrack and those awful commercials OK??? Thanks!!!

And I miss the radio stations from those days. Locally the AM & FM stations had staff every day for news, weather, sports, and traffic.

HMMM well maybe I've rambled on a bit much.

Later!!!!

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Caldor, grew up in CT way back in the early 70s, it was walmart before there was walmart.

Otasco on main st in Ada, ya there still may be Otascos out there but that one on main was my favorite place to go when we came to town.

TG&Y of course.

Ada Mens Store on main st Ada as well, they wrapped up your purchase in blue paper.

Lums family restaurant, also a CT thing, we used to go there often. Us kids thought it was great when you ordered a hot dog, they were boiled in beer and you could ask them to use a specific beer. Us kids always got a kick out of it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom