Age yourself by naming a store/business that no longer exists that you frequented.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I grew up in a Detroit suburb, so forgive me……
I saw someone post Kresgee’s, I think that was the original K-mart.
Anyone remember Service Merchandise? I never really cared for the chain, but I have some .22 Winchester Wildcat ammo with 99 cent price stickers from that store!
I didn’t see Outdoor America….bad blood here? I would go there when disappointed by a gun show, spent my fair share of money there, back when they kept good stock…. Funny thing, I bought my first reloading gear there-Lee Anniversary Kit, complete and good to go. Salesman told my he’d set me up with proper equipment when I was done with the “toys”….. My Lee kit still works great (30-ish years on), and O/A is gone…..

Yes, S. S. Kresgee started the store that later became K-Mart.

sherrick13

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I grew up in a Detroit suburb, so forgive me……
I saw someone post Kresgee’s, I think that was the original K-mart.
Anyone remember Service Merchandise? I never really cared for the chain, but I have some .22 Winchester Wildcat ammo with 99 cent price stickers from that store!
I didn’t see Outdoor America….bad blood here? I would go there when disappointed by a gun show, spent my fair share of money there, back when they kept good stock…. Funny thing, I bought my first reloading gear there-Lee Anniversary Kit, complete and good to go. Salesman told my he’d set me up with proper equipment when I was done with the “toys”….. My Lee kit still works great (30-ish years on), and O/A is gone…..

Outdoor America and Southwest Shooters were both great stores.

Southwest Shooter got broken into and never recovered.

Outdoor America started going downhill as Fred Baker aged and imploded when he died.

Before my time, but Mashburn Arms was a regional powerhouse for many decades. I went once when I was about 8 or 9, in the late 70's, and it had really gone downhill by then. I think he originally had opened in the 20s or 30s.

sherrick13

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Caldor, grew up in CT way back in the early 70s, it was walmart before there was walmart.

Otasco on main st in Ada, ya there still may be Otascos out there but that one on main was my favorite place to go when we came to town.

TG&Y of course.

Ada Mens Store on main st Ada as well, they wrapped up your purchase in blue paper.

Lums family restaurant, also a CT thing, we used to go there often. Us kids thought it was great when you ordered a hot dog, they were boiled in beer and you could ask them to use a specific beer. Us kids always got a kick out of it.

My Dad was the toy buyer for TG&Y when I was a kid. It was glorious.

sherrick13

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone remember HDS Industries in Midwest City?

They were mainly a copier repair shop but had a FFL and sold guns. Bought my first AK there.

jmike314

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Service Merchandise
Venture
Montgomery Wards
Woolworths
Zayre
Hills
Tom McCaan Shoes
Those photo developing huts
Sunoco & Mobil gas stations
KB Toys
LS Ayres
Sears

I grew up in the midwest states (OH, IL, PA, MO, IN) before moving to OK in the early 90s.

Latest posts

Top Bottom