alzheimer's disease questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benjamin-benjamin

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I might be being paranoid, but my wife and i have kind of joked about her getting alzheimers because she has always been very forgetful and it runs in her family, but i am starting to get more concerned. Lately (meaning on almost a daily basis) my wife will be telling a story and in MID STORY just forget what she was saying or was going to say next. If i ask her a question midway through the story, she can never remember what she was talking about or what she was going to say next. Now she will say Oh i have something to tell you and IMMEDIATELY, i will say what, and she will say Oh i forgot again, i mean a span of under 3 seconds.... Is there any testing that can be done to see if she is more "prone" to it, or anything else like that....

prophet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I might be being paranoid, but my wife and i have kind of joked about her getting alzheimers because she has always been very forgetful and it runs in her family, but i am starting to get more concerned. Lately (meaning on almost a daily basis) my wife will be telling a story and in MID STORY just forget what she was saying or was going to say next. If i ask her a question midway through the story, she can never remember what she was talking about or what she was going to say next. Now she will say Oh i have something to tell you and IMMEDIATELY, i will say what, and she will say Oh i forgot again, i mean a span of under 3 seconds.... Is there any testing that can be done to see if she is more "prone" to it, or anything else like that....
They can test for it some how, they confirmed the diagnosis in my grand-pa earlier this year, and my great-grandpa had a severe case of it.

nobuttbrian

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would think a visit to a neurologist is in order. I don't know about old timers but there is meds available to help. It could just be a case of her brain not firing in sequence or something

JSPANIER

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree get it checked out. Better safe than sorry. Find a board certified physician. If you search around on google you can usually find a physician that specializes in the early identification of this disease. Since early treatment is imparitive don't let them simply dismiss it! I can get you a number for a guy in Tulsa but I'm guessing you'll want one in OKC. PM me if you want a number.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Get it checked out. If she is taking some blood pressure medicine, one of the side effects is short term memory loss. Not everybody is affected by that side affect but some are.
Lots of things can cause short term memory loss.
As has been said, check with a neurologist.

Roadking Larry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Secret bunker in an undisclosed location.
Regardless of what meds she may be on get thee to a physician. You don't say how old she is but if there is something going on it needs to be checked out. there are other potentially serious conditions that can cause the symptoms you describe.

Alzheimer's runs hard in my family. My grandfather had it, two of my aunts had it and now my dad is showing early signs. Unfortunately we also tend to run toward long lives, yeehaw,

finnimus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Forgetfulness can also be caused by stress. Have her take it easy for a little bit and see if it gets better. Many recommend meditation. The Omega-3's contained in fish oil are recommended to help with memory issues and overall brain function. I think I met you and your girlfriend at a Heartland's match a few months ago. If I recall, you're on the younger end of the spectrum. It's very rare to have Alzheimer's early in life, but it's never to early to seek professional medical advice.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Regardless of what meds she may be on get thee to a physician. You don't say how old she is but if there is something going on it needs to be checked out. there are other potentially serious conditions that can cause the symptoms you describe.

Alzheimer's runs hard in my family. My grandfather had it, two of my aunts had it and now my dad is showing early signs. Unfortunately we also tend to run toward long lives, yeehaw,

Larry ... are you sure we are not related somewhere down the line?? :P

I, too, say get to a doctor who specializes in diagnosing/treating this type of problem. I worry about myself sometimes as my memory is absolutely trashed when I am under stress. Fish Oil did help some. Of course, it could have been the placebo effect, but if it helped who cares ...

Latest posts

Top Bottom