GSP vs. Hendricks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thats how it used to be, and was banned in most states, even on PPV. It was started by the Gracies and some investors, as a no holds barred tournament style format, from different disciplines to determine who was the best in the world. It grew from there, but was considered too violent. Dana White approached the Fertitta's about purchasing it as it was about to go under. The rules, ref's and scoring is what got them back in the black and allowed on TV. There is a video, 60 minutes I believe, on Netflix that covers it.

It was on spike the other night.....fan since before ufc1

Plus if I rember correctly thats what GSP wanted to go back to....It looks like he could have taken another round, before his eyes were shut

kennedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't like gsp. He's turned in to a point fighter to protect the belt. I thought it was 2-2 goin to the 5th and Hendricks just needed to go a little harder to get the round and he would be wearin that belt.

This is how I had it too. Hendricks just didn't perform enough in the 5th round. While Hendricks was landing hard punches, GSP was hitting with medium power punches and jabs at a higher rate and then there were the take downs in round 5. You can't just land 3 power punches and then let the other guy hit you 15 times. It's not just about power and damage.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does anyone really think the way someone looks after a fight matters?

The winner is obvious here....
End of 5 the round in which some think Hendrix "didn't do enough" lol
Again I've watched this fight scoring every round... About 6 times now. Honestly, it pretty generous to even give GSP the 3rd. But then again, you have to know at least a little about MMA before you can begin to know how to score a fight.
[Broken External Image]

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I watched the fight once and Im only going to watch it once. I feel Hendricks should have won but it wasn't a Pacquiao-esque robbery. Things like this happen when you are not winning rounds convincingly, I certainly understand that if a round is sort of on the fence then you score it for the champion. I certainly think there were many moments in the fight where Hendricks should have given GSP a little more for the money and he didn't.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The winner is obvious here....
End of 5 the round in which some think Hendrix "didn't do enough" lol
Again I've watched this fight scoring every round... About 6 times now. Honestly, it pretty generous to even give GSP the 3rd. But then again, you have to know at least a little about MMA before you can begin to know how to score a fight.
[Broken External Image]

During watching the fight live I had my phone open to a page with their stats going by and there was a major difference in Georges and Johnys strikes in that 3rd, at one point it was gradual and then another it was explosive, but the other rounds it was always Hendricks getting more strikes in that mattered not just strikes to be throwing.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes and What people need to remember, you cant go off a punch counter like comp-u-box in boxing. MMA (or UFC) isn't scored that way. The idea in scoring a UFC round, watch the round and at the end if that round you decide who you thought won it.
It's not points counting....
It can't be, that would be impossible.
There are to many aspects of a fight to score off of points. Is 3 light jabs better than one hard over hand that lands clean and busts the guy open? How do u score stuff like leg kicks? Is it a point like the over hand that cut the guy and almost ended the fight? What about take downs? What if that takedown leads to nothing and the guy gets right back up. Just like the GSP takedown in the beginning of the first round? Then the submission attempt... Does the guy get a point for trying? Does the guy get a point for defending???? How about sweeping the guy from the bottom? The guy got a takedown then got swept and ended up on bottom. How do you put points on those?
What about control? One of the scoring points is based off of octagon control. So if one guy gets punched or kicked one time good, then they clinch and the guy who got hit controls the other guy for the next minute or so against the cage, what was better? Look how Hendrix turned GSP and put him against the cage at will. He did that this tons of times through out the fight.
Anyway....
My point is, strike (punch and kick) counting can't be done in MMA. You just can't score it that way. All you can do is watch the round and go.....
I think XXX fighter won that round
Hell, if you watch the significant strike counter during the first round. Johnny almost doubled GSP, but yet two judges still have the round to George. But they also both had one takedown apiece. Funny part about that, during the round it was like 36 to 19 for Hendrix on strikes. After the fight it showed strikes landed for each round. It showed 19 to 18 for GSP lol

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I only watched it once and here's my take. Note that I know nothing about MMA scoring. But my overall impression is that GSP landed more strikes. Hendricks overall strike count was lower but they were better strikes. I also don't remember him being in any real trouble throughout the fight, unlike GSP who was just about to be knocked out in the 2nd only to be saved by the ref who held it up just long enough for GSP to clear some cobwebs. In spite of Hendricks beating his a$$, GSP was still somewhat effective through the whole fight except for that short bit of the 2nd. GSP is a tough hombre no doubt, but I think Hendricks won it based on the strike quality throughout the fight and not just the number. Also Hendricks looked like he was having fun and smiling through the whole thing. GSP just looked glad to have it over, which I can't say that I blame him! I think he got the credit for still hanging tough at the end. :twocents:

Latest posts

Top Bottom