Help! Need some PayPal advice.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My daughter is selling an expensive leather couch on craigslist. She's got some woman wanting it. Here's where it gets flaky sounding. She says she's out of country doing church work in a location without banks, western union, etc. She wants to paypal the funds to my daughter and add $675 to the price. The extra is to cover paypal fees and for her to wire transfer via western union a "pickup company". So she's wanting to send the money for the item plus extra and have my daughter pay for her movers prior to pickup. This just sounds hokey to me. Is there any way to get screwed when the money is coming to you? I can't help but think Nigerian scam here. Thoughts? So far all this "woman" has is my daughter's hotmail address and cell number. This conversation was via text.

Sooonerbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have no idea how this scam works, but very confidant it is a scam. Don't do it. Trust no one from Craig's list, I only deal in cash when selling/buying from there.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I did some googling and it came up pretty quick. It's definitely a phishing scam. The tipoff is the western union thing.

What happens is they send you several emails apologizing that something "issue" happened and the payment is there and confirmed, but it's "on hold", blah, blah. They are nice enough to supply links for these so you can login and get these things "straightened up". The deal comes rife with emails that are from paypal and everything. Paypal is fairly safe so it's pretty involved with multiple "issues" that pop up. Bastards...

Latest posts

Top Bottom