Help! Need some PayPal advice.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In the middle of Kenya where there are no banks, but they have high speed internet or at least enough cell phone towers for their smart phone. LOL

Here's a thought, if you're in Kenya and you are in need of a leather couch, try shopping somewhere other than the Oklahoma craigslist.

daytomann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My daughter is selling an expensive leather couch on craigslist. She's got some woman wanting it. Here's where it gets flaky sounding. She says she's out of country doing church work in a location without banks, western union, etc. She wants to paypal the funds to my daughter and add $675 to the price. The extra is to cover paypal fees and for her to wire transfer via western union a "pickup company". So she's wanting to send the money for the item plus extra and have my daughter pay for her movers prior to pickup. This just sounds hokey to me. Is there any way to get screwed when the money is coming to you? I can't help but think Nigerian scam here. Thoughts? So far all this "woman" has is my daughter's hotmail address and cell number. This conversation was via text.

Sell local, this is a scam. Avoid any email or text written in "broken" or odd sounding English and us not very specific to your item naming it by its proper name and description.

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Well she's young and naive about these things. But she did figure something was up with the paypal thing and frankly I was confused at how it could go awry myself. That is until I saw the supplied paypal link in one of the texts, then I knew I needed to check. I've told everyone I know, never ever, EVER hit a link in an email, text, etc. unless you are 100% positive you know the person that sent it to you. And even then I roll over whether who sent it to me knows about this stuff.

Sometimes my comments don't come out the way I mean them to. I was just referring to the people you read about on the news. Your daughter was wise enough to ask before doing it. I would suggest she not give her phone number out in the future.

You can at least find comfort in knowing you raised a girl who is wise enough to ask her dad before doing something that doesn't seem right. A few years ago, PayPal was pretty safe, but today, PayPal scams happen often.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sometimes my comments don't come out the way I mean them to. I was just referring to the people you read about on the news. Your daughter was wise enough to ask before doing it. I would suggest she not give her phone number out in the future.

You can at least find comfort in knowing you raised a girl who is wise enough to ask her dad before doing something that doesn't seem right. A few years ago, PayPal was pretty safe, but today, PayPal scams happen often.
No problem Lurker. Cheers...

Latest posts

Top Bottom