hogs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Call me next time your going, and I'll show you how.

Just kidding.:D I don't know that much about baiting them. There has been some posts on here about people using corn and diesel(I wouldn't eat one that has been eating on a diesel plot)
and some that have used koolaid, or spoiled corn.
Hopefully some of the experts will post up their favorite recipe's

Davs2601

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Always heard put corn and water in jug and let spoil. Put a rubber glove over the top and put in the sun. Once ripe take a post hole digger and dig a 3' deep hole and fill with rotten corn. It will take a few days or weeks for them to find. Hogs are very nomadic and impossible to pattern.

twocan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hogs are very nomadic and impossible to pattern.

Im not smart enough too pattern them yet. I wanted the hogs to find my feeder so I tried putting the corn & water in a bucket thang, it didnt work for me. It splashed out all over me on the way to my feeder, I was dry heven bad, so no whole got dug. The corn was untouched for weeks, The corn dried out and the hogs came to the feeder.
In the last few weeks all of the hogs that iv been seeing have been right where the farmer feeds his cattle on the ground. I guess they eat cow Sh$$ and left over cake that the cows miss. They show up right at dusk. Hope this helps.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Im not smart enough too pattern them yet. I wanted the hogs to find my feeder so I tried putting the corn & water in a bucket thang, it didnt work for me. It splashed out all over me on the way to my feeder, I was dry heven bad, so no whole got dug. The corn was untouched for weeks, The corn dried out and the hogs came to the feeder.
In the last few weeks all of the hogs that iv been seeing have been right where the farmer feeds his cattle on the ground. I guess they eat cow Sh$$ and left over cake that the cows miss. They show up right at dusk. Hope this helps.

Now that funny right there,I don't care who you are.:laughup:

schlockinz

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I find them wherever there is a lot of feed and water. Field fields, acorn plots. Usually the thicker cover the better unfortunately. Last few that I killed were around 2pm in the rain.

As far as bringing them in, from our game cameras, they seem more interested in the mineral blocks than the corn feeders. I've found blocks moved 50 or so yds away from initial spots, with wallows wherever the feeder had previously been. Cameras show them pushing the blocks around and working on them.

If you know areas where they hang out, hunt them like quail. Get some shotguns with slugs or buck, slap on an orange vest or hat, walk slowly, no talking, through the woods, stop every few yards and listen. Pigs make a helluva racket, you should be able to hear when you are getting withing 70 yds or so. Just continue creeping until you can spot them, then flush and shoot. I personally like this method.

BTW, if you are still hunting and they are eating, you could probably walk up quietly and beat them to death with a baseball. Pigs don't seem to have a care in the world when their snout is in the ground.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I get more kicks out of trapping hogs than anything I think. It is like a game, me vs. the hogs. Sometimes they outsmart me, sometimes I outsmart them. Sometimes I can tell when I get a big boar visiting the traps on a regular basis but he just won't go in the trap, so I have to change my methods or bait up to see what he likes, doesn't like. So far the bait I have had the most luck on is corn splashed with diesel fuel. I was soaking creep feed in beer, kool aid and a little sugar, but recently I have not been able to get it to sour to save my life. I guess the temps have been too cold to get it to turn or something. Just this week I noticed a bucket getting a little stanky, but for the most part it just sits there. Deer and other critters kept getting into plain corn too much, and the pigs didn't seem too interested in it. As soon as I started adding a little diesel fuel, the deer left it alone and I started catching pigs. Not only did I start catching more, but there was a significant increase in pig traffic. Only guessing, but maybe it was the smell of the diesel that drew them in more. Who knows. All the tree huggers might balk at the thought of throwing out diesel, but you use very little. And even if the pigs eat it, they don't stay alive long enough to let it build up in their system and effect the taste of the meat. They meet the business end of my .22 the next morning. To keep them coming in I dug a hole a couple of feet deep and layered corn and dirt in there. They seemed to come in nightly and root around a bit, even if they didn't make it into the trap. Anyway, that is my 2 cents on pigs. Just get after em, you ain't gonna kill a single one sittin in the house. Hunt them, trap them, snare them, run em over...

Latest posts

Top Bottom