I want an Air Rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caliberbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got a gamo whisperer I believe it’s called. It’s like a spring action that has a lever to charge it similar to a lever gun. It is super fast. I’ve killed skunks and rodents at our old place. There are reviews of it on YouTube where a
Guy was killing wild hog with it. Drops them right in the forehead between the eyes and they don’t run at all

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
CCI Quiets out of a 24" barrel bolt action aren't going to any louder than an air rifle of similar FPS.

In this video I am alternating between Blazer and CCI quiets.

I was going to recommend Colibri powderless rounds, 420FPS or 520FPS with a 20 grain slug. Very quiet, especially suppressed, and a lot better than sending pellets around at 1000FPS. Easy kill on squirrels, Cats are going to take more, not sure an air rifle will do it either.

DDriller

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
RWS springers are very good and accurate. My RWS is 20+ years old and thousands of pellets through it. If you want to step up and spend some money the Air Force Talon is an excellent PCP rifle.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
CCI Quiets out of a 24" barrel bolt action aren't going to any louder than an air rifle of similar FPS.

In this video I am alternating between Blazer and CCI quiets.

I would not shoot cats but if I was, the 22lr CB's or quiets is probably more humane than an air rifle unless you get a 22cal PCP doing 800fps+.

Buddy uses the 22 sub sonic to take out raccoons; however, this may not be best if you live in a neighborhood. A good 22cal break barrel would work on a cat-sized animal only with a headshot. Otherwise much suffering.

Do not use a pumper for game that size. A 22cal or maybe a blue streak would work with headshot, but they are noisy and hard to pump. Go PCP or break barrel. The chinese break barrels are known to have quality control issues FYI. If budget allows, get a Diana or something better if you can't go the 22lr quiet route.

Two Gun Warrior

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have 2 air rifles, one is a ruger that shoots 17 cal pellets at 1400 fps, squirrels at 50 yards no problems. My other is a Hartsan 25 cal shooting about 1000 fps, have seen videos of people killing hogs with them, they will git the job done.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have 2 air rifles, one is a ruger that shoots 17 cal pellets at 1400 fps, squirrels at 50 yards no problems. My other is a Hartsan 25 cal shooting about 1000 fps, have seen videos of people killing hogs with them, they will git the job done.
I'm sure you are aware but the manufacturers use light weight alloy pellets to inflate their FPS numbers for marketing. @ 1100FPS a pellet goes super sonic and is much louder and less stable (especially 177cal), so you want to use a grain weight pellet that will provide the most accurate sub-sonic performance.

I love the look of those Rugers even though they too are chinese but they seem to have a lot of power. I think the 22cal version of that gun (Air hawk Elite?) would work for the OP's needs.

Latest posts

Top Bottom