Major plumbing question, need advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It can be done. I wish I had been there when they did my friends (I said he did it, but actually it was a plumber). He said he didn't suffer that much pressure loss, either.

JonDough

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We had Pex run through a bad line in my parents old house when a line in the slab was leaking. Worked great and never had any more problems out of it.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ive had one tell me that he could sometimes depending on the circumstance and length solder new line to the old and pull it through the slab with the old line somehow. Sounded like horse$h!+ to me. Luckily I've not had to find out yet.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It can be done. I wish I had been there when they did my friends (I said he did it, but actually it was a plumber). He said he didn't suffer that much pressure loss, either.

Pressure isn't the real issue--it's volume, but limited volume is usually described as a pressure issue. Fortunately Plex is real slick and the smaller diameter will carry nearly as much volume as larger older pipe, giving an acceptable flow rate.

Viper16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know they have ultrasonic detectors that they can almost pinpoint where the leak is in the slabs, reducing error,...although I have seen an inexperienced plumber could pick up the wrong signals and be on the other opposite end of the pipe.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I had my leak, the first thing I did (after a walk-through and walk-around didn't produce anything) was to shut off the water to the water heater. When I did, I could no longer hear the leak so I knew it was in the hot water line. Then I took off my shoes and socks and walked around inside my house. Sure enough, as it was under a tiled area, at one point I went from a cold floor to a toasty one. Pinpointed it precisely. Had it been a cold water line, I'd have been up a creek.

Latest posts

Top Bottom