Nitto Terra Grappler tires......

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had those tires all through high school. Went through 4 sets in 4 years. I had a heavy foot. I switched to BFG's and got nearly 70k miles out of them. I have nittos on my current truck now as that's what it came with, but when the time comes I'll be switching back to BFG's.

Rajder

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You are never going to get good answers about what tires are the best because you can never know what condition people keep their vehicles in. If you only got 30K miles out of any of these tires its because your truck alignment or suspension was screwed up and it had nothing to do with the tire. Or you might use it in a crazy aggressive manner that wears tires quickly. When people say that X brand of tire is wearing evenly on their truck in fact it has nothign to do with the tire. The tire is not in control of how their wear. Without direct personal experience with the tire the most unbiased way to compare tire tread life is to compare the UTQG number. But unfortunately most 4x4 style tires don't give you a UTQG number.

I put myself through college working on vehicles, selling tires, installing tires, and doing alignments. What happens most of the time is that people will compare tire brands when their truck is in two different states of mechanical condition. For example, someone will replace the tires on their truck when the stock tires wear out at 40k miles with BFG All Terrians and get 60k miles out of them. Then they try a set of Nitto Terra Grapplers because they want to try something different but they only get 35k miles out of them and they wear out. What they failed to realize that they now have a truck with 100k miles on it with worn out suspension components and weak shocks. From that point on they are in the "Nitto Tires are junk" camp when in fact their tire wear had nothing to do with the tires in the first place. Also, tire wear can often vary dramatically within a brand of tire by just varying the size of the tire. For some reason different sized tires will often have different tread depths even though they are the same tire. If the 35" BFG has 3/16" more tread depth than the 33" BFG then that is 3/16" more tire mileage out of that 35" tire.

Me and my family spent years running the BFG All Terrains. They are pretty much the defacto standard for 4x4 Truck tires and have been around forever. I have never been able to get more than 50k miles out of the BFG's (or any other previous All Terrain tire for that matter). I spend years thinking that 50k miles was the max that you were going to get out of an All Terrain tire. Currently on my F-150 I'm running 325/60R20 Nitto Terra Grapplers (35" tire on a 20" wheel). They are crazy expensive. But I get 80k miles out of a set of tires. Understand that I really take care of my truck, always rotate my tires and keep air pressures up. But in my experience 80k miles out of an all terrian tire is unheard of. I'm not knocking the BFG's because they are great tires and I know people who have tried the Terra Grapplers and still prefer the BFGs. And I also like the stuff that Toyo makes. But I personally stick with the Terra Grapplers because I can't argue with 80k miles.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very wise. I thought the same, typed a lot less.
You are never going to get good answers about what tires are the best because you can never know what condition people keep their vehicles in. If you only got 30K miles out of any of these tires its because your truck alignment or suspension was screwed up and it had nothing to do with the tire. Or you might use it in a crazy aggressive manner that wears tires quickly. When people say that X brand of tire is wearing evenly on their truck in fact it has nothign to do with the tire. The tire is not in control of how their wear. Without direct personal experience with the tire the most unbiased way to compare tire tread life is to compare the UTQG number. But unfortunately most 4x4 style tires don't give you a UTQG number.

I put myself through college working on vehicles, selling tires, installing tires, and doing alignments. What happens most of the time is that people will compare tire brands when their truck is in two different states of mechanical condition. For example, someone will replace the tires on their truck when the stock tires wear out at 40k miles with BFG All Terrians and get 60k miles out of them. Then they try a set of Nitto Terra Grapplers because they want to try something different but they only get 35k miles out of them and they wear out. What they failed to realize that they now have a truck with 100k miles on it with worn out suspension components and weak shocks. From that point on they are in the "Nitto Tires are junk" camp when in fact their tire wear had nothing to do with the tires in the first place. Also, tire wear can often vary dramatically within a brand of tire by just varying the size of the tire. For some reason different sized tires will often have different tread depths even though they are the same tire. If the 35" BFG has 3/16" more tread depth than the 33" BFG then that is 3/16" more tire mileage out of that 35" tire.

Me and my family spent years running the BFG All Terrains. They are pretty much the defacto standard for 4x4 Truck tires and have been around forever. I have never been able to get more than 50k miles out of the BFG's (or any other previous All Terrain tire for that matter). I spend years thinking that 50k miles was the max that you were going to get out of an All Terrain tire. Currently on my F-150 I'm running 325/60R20 Nitto Terra Grapplers (35" tire on a 20" wheel). They are crazy expensive. But I get 80k miles out of a set of tires. Understand that I really take care of my truck, always rotate my tires and keep air pressures up. But in my experience 80k miles out of an all terrian tire is unheard of. I'm not knocking the BFG's because they are great tires and I know people who have tried the Terra Grapplers and still prefer the BFGs. And I also like the stuff that Toyo makes. But I personally stick with the Terra Grapplers because I can't argue with 80k miles.

Blewis11

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bfg's are supposedly going to last a little longer...but are more pricey. Nitto is owned by the same company and made in the same plant as Toyo's. Really very minimal difference except side wall design. They are good quality tires. You will get some good use out of them, I'm running Nitto trail grapplers on my truck now, been happy with them. Mileage really depends on how you drive, what vehicle its one, lifted or not, etc. etc. You may not like them quite as much as Bfg, but you won't pay nearly as much either, so its really a personal choice. I don't keep a car long enough to ever tell which tire actually lasts longer, but performance wise, unless you are a pro drive in the Baja 1000 or something, you generally aren't going to be able to tell much difference. Anyway, mine is the red raptor on the website... www.promotorsports.com
Good luck.

SgtMojo67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have found 275/70/R18 BFG AT's for $224 a tire. Not too bad. That is what I'm gonna go with. I've had them on every jeep I owned. I was just wandering what your opinions were on the Nitto's

Electrician Mike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I currently have my second set of 325-60-20 Nitto Terra Grapplers on my lifted F250 diesel. Not sure what some folks are doing wrong saying they dont last very long, I got over 50k out of my first set and never rotated them once. I used to tow a 28' enclosed car hauler every weekend with them. Only reason I replaced them is some d-bag slashed the sidewalls on a couple of them at a OU game last year. I got a new set, and saved 2 of the old ones for back ups in case I ever have a problem, still have a lot of life left in them. I love these tires, super quiet and I have not had the traction issues some have talked about, but I dont get in the mud much. A friend of mine has the comparable Toyos on a Dodge and they are noisy as all get out.

j-dubb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Arguing/Opinions about tires is like arguing/opinions about politics.....it's pointless, pick one and get it over with. I drive over 200 miles a day mixed with highway, gravel, dirt, mud, water and grass all in one day. I've put on different and the same tires before and after my suspension was worn out and new so I don't agree with that argument. One guy said he got 100,000 out of a A/T tire? And another 80,000 without rotating tires? So throw any normal conditions out the window with those two guys. I've ran every tire mentioned more than once, on more than one vehicle and in different sizes and I know what my tire of choice from here on out will be.

Latest posts

Top Bottom