Off Road GPS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A few years back I bought the Etrex Vista HCX since I had plans to visit some out of the way places on motorcycle and wanted the ability to load USGS topo maps on the GPS.

white92coupe

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have the Garmin Rino 655t that I use for hunting as it is also a two way radio. It's my 2nd Garmin, and I would highly recommend them. They are user friendly, and neither has failed me in the 8 years I've owned garmins. I run my off of rrchargable Lithium ion batteries, but they make a battery you can put AA in to power the unit.

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
EMP or restrictions on the satellite transmitters during crises will likely render a GPS virtually useless. However, if you are leaving immediately, any Garmin mapping unit should be functional.

Land Nav is a easily learned, and mandatory, skill.

Garand

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Garmin Montana series units have worked great for me. They have decent battery life with the included rechargeable battery, AND will also run on AA's once you deplete it.

There are numerous maps available for them than you can have loaded on the SD Card.

For instance, this past July we went on a cross country dirtbike ride. Our plans were to trailer out to the OK/CO border, jump on our dirt bikes and ride on dirt all the way over to the UT/NV border.

So, on my Montana, I loaded the "City Navigator" maps for the road trip out there, with those maps running it works just like any other turn by turn routing GPS. Once I got to CO I switched over the the CO Topo maps since a lot of our trip was on road/fire roads/trails that arent available on your typical over the road mapping software.

Now with that said. The Garmin Rino series may suit your needs better? I believe you can load the same maps, but they also work as 2 way radios. They plot the location of your partners on the map, which is a pretty cool feature IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess I was thinking more if I had to hike home from work and wanted to go as the crow flies so to speak. I probably need to brush up on shooting a compass, but will check out the Garmin as well. I do some duel sport riding and mountain biking and would like a faster more on the go way to find my way when making my own trail. Thanks.
and hiking across private property "making my own trail" is trespassing. you'll end up arrested or worse, but definitely late from work.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
In your original question you asked about a GPS don't know why those other yahoos even chimed in since they didn't have anything of value to add to the conversation. Stock up on some extra batteries. My Garmin Etrex uses 2 AA batteries. I usually keep at least 30 on hand. My Garmin will average about 16 hours on a set. Never yet been in a canyon deep enough that I couldn't get at least 3 sats. Oklahoma isn't known for deep canyons. Extreme tree cover can affect a GPS signal but usually it's just a matter of moving to a clear spot and waiting a minute for it to reaquire the signal. Much easier to use and more accurate then a compass
in his original post he stated he wanted it for bugging out. not sure why some yahoo would want to judge others when he didn't know the full extent of the question either.

okiebryan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Take it from an experienced geocacher. The eTrex line has HORRIBLE reception. If you have it on a lanyard around your neck, it loses lock. If you out it in a pocket even for a second, loses lock. Forget even trying to use it in a car.

Their GPSMAP series is FAR better, holds more maps on the SD card, and takes a LOT to lose lock. I have a GPSmap 60csx that I've had for years. I loaded it long ago with topo maps for the entire country on one micro sd card, and it even shows powerlines and pipelines that were constructed before the gov't stopped updating the data... pipeline and powerline scars are handy as hell when cutting cross country. Also the battery life in 3-4x more than my old Etrex.

cscokd

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Take it from an experienced geocacher. The eTrex line has HORRIBLE reception. If you have it on a lanyard around your neck, it loses lock. If you out it in a pocket even for a second, loses lock. Forget even trying to use it in a car.

Their GPSMAP series is FAR better, holds more maps on the SD card, and takes a LOT to lose lock. I have a GPSmap 60csx that I've had for years. I loaded it long ago with topo maps for the entire country on one micro sd card, and it even shows powerlines and pipelines that were constructed before the gov't stopped updating the data... pipeline and powerline scars are handy as hell when cutting cross country. Also the battery life in 3-4x more than my old Etrex.

^^^^ This! I have an ancient GPSmap 60c, and they can't be beat for outdoor use except by their newer models. Stop your shopping and get one of these, even an older used model is better than anything else out there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom