"Official" Wild Game Cooking Pic and Recipe Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deli_llama

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been doing something I like with crappie fillets. I start by heating a pan over medium heat, then adding butter, and I have been using Kerrygold Irish Butter. Drop un-breaded, or Naked crappie fillets, dressed in a little salt and pepper, into the pan and start to brown them, flip the fillets and allow the otherside to brown. Now, squeeze one half a lemon over the fillets just before they are completely cooked. Let them cook in the butter and lemon solution until they are cooked to the correct done-ness. Remove the fish, and set aside. In the same pan, add about half a red onion sliced in long slivers. Sautee for a minute or so, and squeeze the other half of the lemon over top, the acid will turn the onions bright red, and break down proteins in the butter creating a light sauce. Sautee until the onions are bright and translucent, and finish with a few splashes of red wine. Once the sauce has reduced simply pour the mixture over the top of the Crappie fillets and have a blast.

No pics, but it is good.

Toney

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMG_20130217_141822.jpg .....

h4everything

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went on a European shoot the other day and all they did was breast the pheasants out. felt like it was a big waste so I collected about 25 birds worth of legs and thighs for pheasant dumpings.

Took them home cleaned them up, pressure cooked the for about 30 min with salt, pepper and a sliced onion to flavor the broth. after 30 min meat was pretty loose on the bone, pulled out and deboned all meat. taste broth and add salt and pepper as needed

made my dumpling by mixing about a table spoon of baking powder, cup of milk and 2 table spoons of vegatable oil. mixed those 3 together then added flour to make a dough.
Rolled out to about 1/4" thick dough then slice into 1" X1" dumplings.

get the broth to a good rolling boil, at a cup or 2 of milk to color it up some then drop the dumplins in 1 by 1 so they won't stick together, keep the broth at a rolling boil for a couple of minutes after all of the dumplins are in remove from heat and cover. Excellent for a rainy day meal.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice job! I would not have let all that good meat go to waste either...

Heckuva recipe too. I would probably have put the meat in a good cornbread dressing but, a pot of dumplings is real hard to beat too....

DAVID

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1962 C-10 004.jpg1962 C-10 005.jpg1962 C-10 006.jpg

Cubed 1 1/2 lbs deer steak (1/2" cubes)
Brown well (until liquid is gone)
while you're doing that....

Seed, and grill 5 Ancho, 3 California, 2 hot peppers of choice (all peppers dried)
Soak peppers in bowl of hot water 30-60 min
Save water you soaked them in
Add peppers, one chopped onion, and a chopped head of garlic, plus two teaspoons ground cumin to blender
pour in 1 cup of liquid and blend

When meat is ready and skillet still going, add mixture from blender to the meat
Stir frequently, and add more liquid as needed
Simmer for an hour or three, adding water if it cooks down too much

Serve with some beans, tortillas, cilantro, guacamole, onion, fresh peppers

Latest posts

Top Bottom