Question for Android users

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zseese

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm thinking about switching, (its because of ATT, not my iPhone) but iTunes and syncing is probably my second favorite part about the iPhone(especially how it integrates with my Macs so well) and I was wondering if Android phones have anything similar or if you just drag and drop files and the phone finds them, etc (songs, movies, ringtones, pics, notes). Also can I make ringtones on my computer(I use garage band) and upload them to the phone or can I only download them on the phone? Thanks guys

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm thinking about switching, (its because of ATT, not my iPhone) but iTunes and syncing is probably my second favorite part about the iPhone(especially how it integrates with my Macs so well) and I was wondering if Android phones have anything similar or if you just drag and drop files and the phone finds them, etc (songs, movies, ringtones, pics, notes). Also can I make ringtones on my computer(I use garage band) and upload them to the phone or can I only download them on the phone? Thanks guys

Yes yes yes and yes.

The files portion is drag and drop just like an external drive. Every other question, the answer is yes. Any music file you put on your phone has the potential of being a ringtone.

Come to android and realize its superiority. Break the chains of DRM.

tmotulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes yes yes and yes.

The files portion is drag and drop just like an external drive. Every other question, the answer is yes. Any music file you put on your phone has the potential of being a ringtone.

+1,000 to what WMD is saying.

there is even an APP for making ringtones. pick the song decide where you want the ringtone by moving the sliders through the track and presto! you have a new ringtone!

the iphone may have 10 bazillion apps but it still doesnt have that one!

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
+1,000 to what WMD is saying.

there is even an APP for making ringtones. pick the song decide where you want the ringtone by moving the sliders through the track and presto! you have a new ringtone!

the iphone may have 10 bazillion apps but it still doesnt have that one!

That app is called Ringdroid and couples nicely with another called Rings Extended, which actually allows you to place any sound clip as your ringtone, text tone, email tone, etc.

As far as pictures, movies, sounds, there are file folders with those specific names that you'll see when dragging and dropping. I do have some mp3s in the root folder that are detected just fine, but this may not apply to all files, plus it makes your folder layout look clunky.

I've always been a big fan of drag and drop, I don't trust software to do it for me.

JollyGreen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My Android "Captivate" doesn't sync to my Mac's I tunes.
I heard it works great on the PC.
There are some freeware apps I had to install to get my I tunes library to sync, but it wont sync my play lists for some reason. I haven't gotten it to sync my contacts without manually copying over my address book.

I LOVE the phone other than that.

Henry

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Android will do everything I've ever needed (wanted) except it will not sync with Ford sync to give me verbal sms messages. the voice to text works flawlessly but when it goes to text to voice to play back through the radio system, it just won't do it. All other bluetooth options work great. Far superior to Iphone, However; you will miss having your calls "dropped"

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm a fan of TuneSync. It's not free, but it allows you to sync your android phone almost identically to how your ipod/phone syncs. It allows you to select any combination of playlists, etc IN ITUNES that it will sync to your android phone. What's better, it will do it over wifi. Any time your phone joins your home network, it will sync your music. It's awesome.

zseese

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes yes yes and yes.

When they make one with the simplicity of the iPhone, then it will be superior in MY eyes, I am about simple plug, sync, and go with a nice, symmetrical, simple ui(which is mobile iOS), and I dont have to worry about DRM, I'm a pirate, arggg!!!

That app is called Ringdroid and couples nicely with another called Rings Extended, which actually allows you to place any sound clip as your ringtone, text tone, email tone, etc.

As far as pictures, movies, sounds, there are file folders with those specific names that you'll see when dragging and dropping. I do have some mp3s in the root folder that are detected just fine, but this may not apply to all files, plus it makes your folder layout look clunky.

I've always been a big fan of drag and drop, I don't trust software to do it for me.

I know there are apps like that out, but since my garageband app is so simple and integrated to iTunes, I would rather use that, so much easier to stay organized, I have tried several programs and thats just my favorite.

I have never been a fan of drag and drop when it comes to my music and movies, dunno why, just don't prefer it.

The Android will do everything I've ever needed (wanted) except it will not sync with Ford sync to give me verbal sms messages. the voice to text works flawlessly but when it goes to text to voice to play back through the radio system, it just won't do it. All other bluetooth options work great. Far superior to Iphone, However; you will miss having your calls "dropped"

iPhone won't do verbal sms either, the ones that do are few and far between, all of my dropped calls are due to AT&T's lack of coverage out here at these oil rigs, never have a problem in good coverage areas so I doubt I will miss the dropped calls by way of the iPhone, but AT&T will not be missed...

I'm a fan of TuneSync. It's not free, but it allows you to sync your android phone almost identically to how your ipod/phone syncs. It allows you to select any combination of playlists, etc IN ITUNES that it will sync to your android phone. What's better, it will do it over wifi. Any time your phone joins your home network, it will sync your music. It's awesome.

This is exactly what I was looking for, I will be getting either this program or the other decent one I have found, iSyncr. Thanks for the responses guys, maybe if I'm lucky Verizon will come out with an iPhone next year sometime so I don't have to be without for too long, but I dont see it happening before august if at all...

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Really excited about the iPhone coming to verizon? I hate my iPhone with a passion. When my contract expires I'm getting a Droid on Verizon (The only thing I hate more than this POS phone is ATTs service) and shooting the 3GS with my 338 Lapua at 500m. And I'm videoing it down range.

zseese

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Really excited about the iPhone coming to verizon? I hate my iPhone with a passion. When my contract expires I'm getting a Droid on Verizon (The only thing I hate more than this POS phone is ATTs service) and shooting the 3GS with my 338 Lapua at 500m. And I'm videoing it down range.

Yes, very excited, I'm sure the android OS is very good and much more liberating, but I prefer the UI on iPhone, prefer the appearance of iPhone, prefer the flawless integration between it and my Mac, the integration of all my A/V programs with iTunes which comes around full circle to the iPhone, especially with the folders now I can get 8 pages of apps onto one sleek, clean screen, and even though Apple does try to play mommy way too much, I prefer their software and hardware, but make sure you post the video here, still be cool, btw Verizon rep told me that they will pay $150 towards an early termination fee if you want to try to switch now...

And I know that if the iPhone does come to Verizon, the flood of data will weaken the usable bandwidth, but hopefully it will still be better than AT&T...

Latest posts

Top Bottom