Rainy Day Opening Day Blues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
No rain here yet. Up near Foraker. Saw two deer walking in...

tapatalk.imageshack.com_v2_14_11_22_f84038fa4e8d462539489581904eadc7.jpg

Shot my first prairie chicken not far from Foraker.......long time ago. :)

JonDough

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been raining most of the morning here near lawton. Went out to hunt this morning at 5 regardless of rain, but started getting lots of lightning right near the hunting spots...hung out a while in the truck but i kept up and the radar showed it'd be around for a while so i left. Figured being in a biggo metal tower in the treeline wasn't a smart career move...lol Not complaining abou the rain tho...we sure need it.

May go here in a bit now that the 'tricity has calmed down.

Kingmarine

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Raining a lot in Pittsburg county. Got truck stuck on a trail (will mess with that after the rain stops). Only saw one deer at first light, nothing since then. But I have the heater on and in the cabin. Going back out shortly.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got up at 3am, drove to Blue River Fishing and Hunting area. Learned that air temperatures and water temperatures are a world apart. Was thinking it would be a nice warmish rain. Not so, I got out of my stand at 1, with signs of hypothermia. Alright soon after i got to truck and took wet clothes off.
Saw one shooter at 10am but he was too far away to shoot with a slug. Had another walk up behind me shortly after 11, he literally sniffed my climbing sticks then boltet. They are so sneaky when its wet out!

JonDough

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Decided not to go back out this evening. If i scored, i'd have to drag the carcass a longgg way because i'm sure i can't get the trucks to the drop zone now that it's rained this much and there's really nothing to winch from. Didn't wanna take the chance of getting one and maybe having to track it in the dark AND the rain, then drag it 300 miles..lol, so i'm just going to go out in the morning. At least then i can track and drag when i can see what i'm doing. : )

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rain was not an issue near Okarche but there is a bad case of buck fever to be had out here. My 8 year old has killed 4 deer since she started hunting last year. She let a little half racked buck walk this morning, then had a wall hanger show up at 70 yards. Heavy chocolate horns and mass like nothing I have ever shot. He was broadside, quartering away slightly, and she missed. Just flat missed. To hear her afterward, you would have thought she was hypothermic. Voice was shakey and she was trembling. If I had thought there was any chance of her missing, I would have shot him. But this weekend is her hunt, so he was hers. Hopefully he will come back chasing tail sometime.

Latest posts

Top Bottom