Shooting at the Muskogee Mall

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveTec

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd like some input on the matter.

Lets say that a CCW license holder were visting that mall when the gunman started shooting, which incidentally killed one and injured 5. Let's further speculate that this CCW license holder had his two small children with him, and when the gunfire rang out, they all hit the dirt.

My question is simple. If that CCW license holder saw the gunman, and had a shot, should he take it? Or should he hide and stay down until the smoke cleared?

What would you do?
What should you do? (not always the same)
What do you think the ramifications of doing/not doing it would be?

Discussion.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Obviously, as there *were* innocent bystanders that were hit, you would be in fear of great bodily harm or death, HOWEVER...

If I didn't know the situation, and taking cover was an option, I would be very careful of engaging.

If you were close to the line of fire, and cover was not an option, I might engage if I *knew* who the "bad guy" was.

However, from what I've heard, I suspect this was a deliberate attack on a specific target, so there was most likely very little warning and very little time to have reacted.

1911DA

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I had my kids, grandkids wife etc., I think I would have gotten undercover, left the scene or what ever. Unless the pukes was aiming for one of mine then all bets are off.

Not trying to hijack the thread but I keep hearing on national and local news about guns being illegal in malls....since when?

Was the mall posted with gunbuster signs? Apparently the bangers didn't see or obey them.

Now back to the OP.

thesensei

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was not there, and all self defense is absolutely contextual. So what I SAY I would do and what I would actually do may be different. That said, my first reaction would be to seek cover - especially if my family was with me. If the shooters were far enough away, I would try to stay out of it if possible, and if my family is also under cover. If I can't get my family out of the way, you bet I will engage.

What's the best way to win a gunfight? Beat It!

loudshirt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Take cover and escape and evade out of danger. As with most active shooter type situations the bad guys don't wear signs on them saying they are bad guys and the good guys don't either. In a mall the chances of you having a clear shot and a clear background for your shot are very slim. If you take the shot miss and hit another innocent bystander your world just got a bit more complicated.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The possibility of being mistaken for an attacker is a risk any of us take when we decide to pull our gun and use it defensively. Using a gun defensively is such a last-ditch option that I don't think that risk would really enter into the equation though. Your life and/or the lives of those around you are in imminent danger.

As for whether you drop the hammer on somebody who is shooting, you just have to make the best decision you can with the information you have. You'd have to balance the risks of acting vs. not acting, with a very short time to decide. If you reasonably thought the person posed a threat of death or serious bodily injury to you or someone else, you are OK as far as the law goes.

jarhead983

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know what I should do, but, I know what I most likely would do. I was in a similar situation years ago. Although I wasn't armed, I attacked the attacker. I blame it on my training, but I don't know if that is it, or if I have always been one to react to confrontation head on.

I fear that I would react without thought to my family. I honestly do think on this while in public and in private. I continually think of how to first insure protection for my loved ones. I make an effort to always think of what I would do at every change of scenarios. I do this to reinforce the protect first instinct that I am deficient in. I know that this is not what a father and husband should say, but, it is the truth. The mere idea of such an abhorrent act, as done by the perpertrators brings me disgust and only the to stop it. I cannot fathom the thought of letting scum murder another while I sit nearby with a means to stop it. Rather that be physical or with a weapon. I hope I never have the opportunity to find out if I run off in defense of others without first taking care of my own. I not only hope, I pray.

Without family present, I know what I would do. I know it won't it be reckless, but it will be with intent.

reddog1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I Wouldnt know what I would have done, First and foremost, I would have gotten my family on the ground or move quickly to a safe place. I could say what I would do all day. Fact is, if the shooting happend paralell to me in that mall, my Family and I hit the deck, and the shooting then sprinted through the mall away from me and my Family, I definatley would NOT chase after them. UNLESS they were just senselessly just killing everyone that crossed their path. Thats different... bigtime.

1911DA

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The more I think about this I'm thinking there is an upside to this BS.

So far the LEO's have arrested 5 people..................5 bangers are off the streets and the couple who hid the shooters are being charged with accessory to murder one and 5 counts for other violations.

What's the down side?

Latest posts

Top Bottom