Sighting in a ML

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toney

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Really depends on what bullets and powder your shooting.
Sabots need a clean bore. The hornady FT i'm shooting says clean when they get hard to load.
My first clean barrel shot with the FT will be low and the next two will be higher. After the second shot i can really feel the crud ring. Hate to load more thinking i'll mess the thin bottoms of the bullets up.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Clean your barrel the day before you go sight in.
Shoot one shot. Go home, and clean your barrel.
Go back out and shoot one shot. Adjust scope/sights
Go home and clean barrel.
Go back out and shoot one shot. If everything looks good, go home, clean the barrel, and go hunting.

Hunters and snipers rely on a cold barrel shot. Subsequent shots do not apply. People waste time trying to shoot a group. They will shoot one shot from a cold barrel, and it will be off from the next three shots. Might be a good group for the last three, but you want the cold barrel shot to count.

This advise is from Carlos Hathcock. Google it.

High speed competition shooters, ignore the above advice, as I'm sure you know why.

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
hoddy advice is right on,also try to keep the about of pressure that you seat your bullet the same everytime as this wil affect what kind of groups you will shoot,there is alot a variables in ml like if you clean between every shot and then lube it then shot and you got her zeroed in then you go home clean it lube it and run serval patches dn the barrel and clean most the lube off.load up go hunting that ml is going to shoot high because the barrel is dry causeing more friction in turn creating more pressure and it will shoot high,and also some bullets shoot well and some do'nt let us know how it goes

rebelracer79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll keep you guys posted, I'm used to precisly loading rifle rounds this whole drop two pellets in Anna shove a bullet down the barrel seems kinda strange lol

walker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What gun, caliber, twist, bullet, powder.
I have to shoot mine 6 times without cleaning before the group starts to spread.
Lyman Mustang, 50cal, 3 Triple7 pellets (150gr) behind a 145gr powerbelt.
Just my personal experience.

Latest posts

Top Bottom