Suppressor for home defense

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vooduchikn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why would anybody ever suppress a 10mm, isn't the whole function of a 10mm that its a auto magnum round?, do they make a subsonic round for 10mm? I'm sure you could handload such a round but wouldn't 45acp be a better candidate(a little more surface area to make up for the lack of velocity). I'm gonna really show my ignorance now. Would putting a can on a tilting barrel pistol possibly cause malfunctions(you know leverage and all) maybe if someone is holding or touching it? Wouldn't a fixed barrel weapon be more the weapon of choice. I could see using this weapon for HD but I think when the need arises you'll probably grab whatever is closest.

Ever Chrono off the shelf 10MM? Its watered down and not at the true 10MM Norma (full house) spec. The last batch I chronographed was about the same as my .40SW in the same weight, talk about disappointing; thanks Hornady. For suppressed, how about a 200 grain XTP at 1050FPS X15 rounds in the gun? Good times.

The Full House spec would be closer to .41 magnum velocities and KE, which is also good times.

But to answer your question. The vast majority of .45ACP is subsonic at full spec, some +p and +p+ get close to or exceed supersonic.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do you waste precious time putting them on and turning them on before or after you access your firearm? Do they come in a phone friendly version? :)

When one has a majority of their hearing ability gone, amplified muffs are much quicker than closing the battery case and getting hearing aids into your ears.

Since you asked, they are phone friendly. Well redneck style, but that will my method of talking to 911 if there is time, and it will allow both hands to be in use.

Dial 911, and stick the phone under the muff. The tension will hold it there allowing both hands to do what ever they need to do. Try it! :D

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
9k is my next.

uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160203_e7cd99e864b35727b36e6846ef58562d.jpg
That is a sexy *****! This is exactly what I dream of. just 1 mm bigger
The idea; not yours just generally, that a shotgun is good for the untrained to use in HD is a bad idea.
She is stubborn, and will not budge from the idea. It's my responsibility to get her trained. She does not realize how untrained she is. heck i am just starting to realize how untrained I am!
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Doing some checking around, these are the cans that were recommended for 10mm. SCO Octane 45, Ghost 45 (Dead Air), Obsidian (Rugged).
Thank you Sir!

Why would anybody ever suppress a 10mm, isn't the whole function of a 10mm that its a auto magnum round?, do they make a subsonic round for 10mm? I'm sure you could handload such a round but wouldn't 45acp be a better candidate(a little more surface area to make up for the lack of velocity). I'm gonna really show my ignorance now. Would putting a can on a tilting barrel pistol possibly cause malfunctions(you know leverage and all) maybe if someone is holding or touching it? Wouldn't a fixed barrel weapon be more the weapon of choice. I could see using this weapon for HD but I think when the need arises you'll probably grab whatever is closest.

I am turning into quite the minimalist, and maybe a bit of a cheap sob. But hey the grad student life aint ez.
A can, trust, threaded barrel, plus whatever I'm missing are waaaaaay more feasibly than the other choices. Even going with a 45 or 9— i'd have to buy the gun plus a bunch of mags. I am very happy with the versatility of 10mm. So there it is, it is what it is.

Thanks again for all your thoughts and recommendations.

trickydick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The second one is a silenced kel-tec s2k. I've often wondered why nobody has ever converted a 40 call s2k to 10mm.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G750A using Tapatalk

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Same reason I skipped red dots and such on mine - may not have time to turn one on.

Easy fix. Buy an Aimpoint PRO on February 29th. Turn it on and leave it on. The next February 29th (4 years later) replace the battery and drive on. Aimpoint PRO has a 5.7 year battery life (50,000 hours). If that is not enough battery life, go to an Aimpoint Comp M4 which will go 100,000 hours.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Easy fix. Buy an Aimpoint PRO on February 29th. Turn it on and leave it on. The next February 29th (4 years later) replace the battery and drive on. Aimpoint PRO has a 5.7 year battery life (50,000 hours). If that is not enough battery life, go to an Aimpoint Comp M4 which will go 100,000 hours.

That is what I'm doing with my T2. Although I may have it set brighter than what they are rated at, so I'll just change it yearly to be safe. That is one of the reasons I moved from an eotech on my primary as well.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom