What is the state law on producing I.D. on demand from law enforcement

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I thought under the patriot act or some other goofy law GWB signed, you were supposed to carry I.D. on you at all times. Or did the courts strike that down?
It’s not legally required unless you’re doing something that requires a government issued license, such as driving, fishing, hunting, etc.
If suspected of a crime and you are being investigated, then you must produce an ID or provide your information.
Any time you are in public, you are supposed to have ID on you.
“Supposed to” isn’t a legal standard. It’s a really good idea, but it’s not legally required unless you’re doing something that requires an ID.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I really don’t understand the belligerence toward police and would like to know just when this attitude EVER worked out well for the person. I was once pulled over at 2:00 am and the officer asked me to produce my ID and registration. I smiled, handed them over and after he looked at them he explained there had been a lot of auto thefts in the area and wanted to make sure I wasn’t a thief. He handed them back and told me to “have a nice evening”. To which I replied “you too”. We parted ways and I DIDN’T spend the night in jail but rather got to sleep in my own bed.

So you are OK with a cop accusing you of being a thief, that was the reason for the stop, no crime was committed, no traffic infraction, just a cop looking at you thinking yup hes a thief better stop him.

RETOKSQUID

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I thought under the patriot act or some other goofy law GWB signed, you were supposed to carry I.D. on you at all times. Or did the courts strike that down?
No such law exist in the U.S. (yet) can't even get congress to agree upon an ID law for voter identification. Dems would have a stroke if there were one because of the illegal imigration issues they seem to support.
The Rutherford institution

Not in favor of a forced national ID that you would have to keep on your person at all times.

okcBob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I really don’t understand the belligerence toward police and would like to know just when this attitude EVER worked out well for the person. I was once pulled over at 2:00 am and the officer asked me to produce my ID and registration. I smiled, handed them over and after he looked at them he explained there had been a lot of auto thefts in the area and wanted to make sure I wasn’t a thief. He handed them back and told me to “have a nice evening”. To which I replied “you too”. We parted ways and I DIDN’T spend the night in jail but rather got to sleep in my own bed.
Well, he violated your civil rights, which is illegal. I would have a prob with that. I don’t want to “show my papers” if I havnt committed a traffic violation, but to each his own.

Last edited:

caliberbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don’t know how I feel about this. All cops are different obviously. My best friend moved here from Oregon as well and he is the nicest person I know. Like, no exaggeration. I also know there are hot head cops. Now me personally I have never and will never have an altercation with a cop. But there are plenty of hot head cops (mainly dudes) that approach a situation with their ego displayed and they create an escalated situation from the start. Yes I’m stating this based on my YouTube research. Who knows what the context was with the guy on the bike. I am pro law enforcement. But I struggle with the dichotomy of hating government yet supporting government law enforcement 🤔🤔🤔

okcBob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
YouTube videos show plenty of cops caught on video (and later found guilty of) committing crimes like assault, perjury, illegal detention, civil rights violations, planting evidence, etc. Plenty were fired and imprisoned because of citizen video & body cams. Imagine the crimes they got away with over the years before body cams & cell phones.
Its these bad apples that give the good cops a bad name.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is the correct answer. The way it should work is the officer approaches, identifies themselves and states the reason for the contact. If they state a valid reason for the stop, whether it be a traffic code violation or a crime, you’re required to ID yourself. If you do not have a government issued ID on you, then you’re required to give your full name and d.o.b.
Unless you're a sovereign citizen, then there is no such requirement. You may need to repeatedly convey your sovereign status, but eventually the Leo will understand and acquiesce.

Latest posts

Top Bottom