1861/1863 Springfield Musket

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoLee1868

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi all, I personally dont own or have ever shot a blackpowder musket. But since i was young I have always wanted to buy a replica 1861 or 1863 Springfield. I have seen a few different brands of replica springfields but was wondering if anyone has personal experience with these and tips for me as i begin my search? Thanks!

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why buy a replica? There are still a lot of originals out there that will be worth far more in the future. I wanted something similar, I wanted the later black powder cartridge rifle. You probably already know the history where the military wanted to switch from muzzle loading rifles and switch to the new cartridge rifles. They settled on the Allen conversion where the receivers of the current Springfield's were converted to breech opening models. I wanted a carbine but they were insanely expensive so I found one that had been cut down in the 1800's and bought it. It's not a "true" carbine but it's as close as my budget allows. It is however, an actual 1873 Springfield 45-70 which is a literal blast to shoot!

I'd look around for an original Springfield in the year model you want, they won't be affordable for too much longer.

JoLee1868

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The reason i was looking at replica's was my intent for the musket was to go shoot at the range and maybe some type of muzzle loader competitions and finally hunting with it.

my fear of buying on of era is a) unreliability shooting b) most likely bad condition of wood c) and id almost feel like using it outside of a wall display would be wrong being all nostalgic about the history it could tell if it could talk. D) not to mention the price for the ones ive seen are astronomical in good condition with a maybe could shoot out of barrel

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shoot mine, no problems as long as you care for them. I get wanting a new replica of an old rifle, I just have always liked the originals better. I'm the opposite of you I guess, as long as it's capable, I just love the idea of shooting a gun with all that history in it.

I don't have any information on the replicas but I'll bet there's someone here who knows about them who will be by at some time. Make sure you post a pic of whatever you get!!

JoLee1868

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shoot mine, no problems as long as you care for them. I get wanting a new replica of an old rifle, I just have always liked the originals better. I'm the opposite of you I guess, as long as it's capable, I just love the idea of shooting a gun with all that history in it.

I don't have any information on the replicas but I'll bet there's someone here who knows about them who will be by at some time. Make sure you post a pic of whatever you get!!

Nice! I havent been looking in the right places. if you are able to i'd love to see a picture of yours. I just assumed ignorantly that the chances of an original being in good shape after all this time to use would be rare and astronomicaly expensive. but i guess you proved me wrong!

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Ive shot replicas and originals. You can find deals on both. With replicas you pay for authenticity, fit and finish. The originals are what they are.

As for shooting, they are a blast. They are heavy though. Not really accurate but thats relative.

If your new to muzzleloading, I recommend hitting the pawnshops and finding a bargain TC, CVA or and Italian production type hawkens or Long rifle. Even a rusty barrel might clean up an produce some decent groups.

scottb42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Even the replica Springfield 1861s aren't cheap. Midway and Dixie Gun Works sell them for just under $900 with no sling or bayonet. Unless you're really sure you want to jump in with both feet, follow Lurker's advice and start with something like a used Hawken repro.

I was super lucky and bought an older closet-queen Armi Sport M1861 with sling and bayonet for a song at a live auction a few years ago. It is a fun shooter and attracts some attention at the range, but don't expect to drive any tacks with it. :D

JoLee1868

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ive shot replicas and originals. You can find deals on both. With replicas you pay for authenticity, fit and finish. The originals are what they are.

As for shooting, they are a blast. They are heavy though. Not really accurate but thats relative.

If your new to muzzleloading, I recommend hitting the pawnshops and finding a bargain TC, CVA or and Italian production type hawkens or Long rifle. Even a rusty barrel might clean up an produce some decent groups.

Thanks for the advice i will start doing research on them and looking around!

Even the replica Springfield 1861s aren't cheap. Midway and Dixie Gun Works sell them for just under $900 with no sling or bayonet. Unless you're really sure you want to jump in with both feet, follow Lurker's advice and start with something like a used Hawken repro.

I was super lucky and bought an older closet-queen Armi Sport M1861 with sling and bayonet for a song at a live auction a few years ago. It is a fun shooter and attracts some attention at the range, but don't expect to drive any tacks with it. :D

Thanks for the input! Going to follow your advice and look into the other guns you mentioned

There is an 1873 45/70 on GunBroker in great condition for sale for $750.00. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=433680267#PIC

Pretty clean for a 100+ years!

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice! I havent been looking in the right places. if you are able to i'd love to see a picture of yours. I just assumed ignorantly that the chances of an original being in good shape after all this time to use would be rare and astronomicaly expensive. but i guess you proved me wrong!

Will do, I need an excuse to take better pics of it anyway.

Latest posts

Top Bottom