Yet another safe question.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looking at getting a safe in the near future and the only place to put it besides the garage is in my current "gun" closet. I always heard go bigger but I am limited on space so I want to maximize what I have to work with. The closet is 30" wide and 25" deep with a door opening of 24". I can make the opening slightly larger by removing the door frame temporarily. The safe I'm looking at is a cannon scout 24 gun safe it measures in at 28x22 so it does fit the space, what I'm worried about is would it be possible so swing it in at an angle and then walk it back to avoid deconstructing the door frame. Also I'm planning on keeping the closet door there how would I still be able to open the safe with the door and door frame in place? And my final question is all the safes I have been looking at are in the 3-400 lbs range would an appliance dolly (heavy duty) a buddy or two and my silverado be up to the task of moving it?

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The best way to see if it will is to make a cardboard cutout of the safes total floor space. Think looking top-down. This is how much real estate the safe will occupy on the floor. Then shuffle that square on the floor as though you were putting the safe in.

That's how we determined if our safe could take a corner in our house.
Don't know that I would trust a furniture dolly with a safe. We used industrial Dollys and it was a *****.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
300-400lbs is not that heavy. That should be no problem with two people and a heavy duty dolly. It's like moving around a fat guy. I think you may have serious issues with opening the door while it's inside the closet though. And a box inside a closet is going to be very dark inside. I'd find a corner of the bedroom, living room or dining room to put it in.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's the kind of dolly I was thinking about the big ones meant for a fridge. I like that cut out idea a lot I'll give it a try.

I have moved a 5000lbs (what they told me) cash safe for work through a hospital into the bank in the basement and that was 4 guys and a pallet jack. Took the better part of a day because we had to go up a steep ramp and we had to lay plywood infront of us so not to mark up the floor. So I have some what of an idea to move stuff but I don't have a flat bed trailer or a pallet jack haha.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
300-400lbs is not that heavy. That should be no problem with two people and a heavy duty dolly. It's like moving around a fat guy. I think you may have serious issues with opening the door while it's inside the closet though. And a box inside a closet is going to be very dark inside. I'd find a corner of the bedroom, living room or dining room to put it in.

Yeah that won't fly with the wife as they are not very pretty to look at so its garage of this closet and I am against the garage cause I'm always in there working with the door up. I am not that worried about the lighting as I was going to put a light in the safe and the closet has a light. As for the door I was sort of worried about that but looking online at them it looks like the door is centered in the safe so that I can off set it in the closet so the safe door will open into the door opening, I think I may lose some of the opening capacity of the safe but I'm ok with that.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Stack-on makes a battery powered light that goes inside the safe if its in a dark area. It turns on and off with a motion detector. Just bought a couple for my safes, and they work really well. Open the door, and the light comes on.

Nifrost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
found the light on ebay from opticsplanet. it was $27.53 including shipping. picked one up for my safe. thanks for the tip dennis.

elance

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Liberty 24 400# on large harbor freight furniture dolly 1000# limit rolls like no body's business. Same safe squatted tires on hand truck. Just be careful tipping it to place on/off dolly or truck.

elance

Latest posts

Top Bottom