1 in 6 Kids in the U.S. are Hungry?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The sad fact is that we do have a problem with hunger and healthcare in this country. The sadder fact is that so far government programs have done little to solve the problem and this admins policies have in fact made things worse. The poverty level is back where it was before the war on poverty even started. Gas and food prices are making it harder for families to make ends meet and many are having to chose between gas to drive to work or enough food in the house.

We do need to work on these problems but the war on poverty and other government ideas have been a complete failure. It is time to try something new. I would suggest a good start would be to get all the freeloaders off government assistance and use the money saved to give more to those who really need it. Streamlining and merging all the many different agencies that are supposed to be helping but usually do not even talk to each other so that more goes to the poor instead of overhead would be another great idea.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Appalachia, Ozarks, Rural South, Inner Cities...

The worst places I have seen were:

Northern NM, way outside of Taos and Santa Fe. Drive up from Las Vegas, New Mexico to Taos without taking the interstates. Cut up east of the national forest and in that way. There's some scary stuff around there. Not foreboding, but scary in that people actually live that way. Holes in the roof, no tarp, but smoke coming up though the chimney as you say.

The other was driving through the Navajo reservation in NE Arizona.

I very curiously want to check out Pine Ridge. It's the most destitute place in America from what I understand. Amazing to think how we allow our fellow Americans to live these days.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Northern NM, way outside of Taos and Santa Fe. Drive up from Las Vegas, New Mexico to Taos without taking the interstates. Cut up east of the national forest and in that way.

Just did that the first week of August. No electricity for miles in some of those areas.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Northern NM, way outside of Taos and Santa Fe. Drive up from Las Vegas, New Mexico to Taos without taking the interstates. Cut up east of the national forest and in that way. There's some scary stuff around there. Not foreboding, but scary in that people actually live that way. Holes in the roof, no tarp, but smoke coming up though the chimney as you say.

The other was driving through the Navajo reservation in NE Arizona.

I very curiously want to check out Pine Ridge. It's the most destitute place in America from what I understand. Amazing to think how we allow our fellow Americans to live these days.

I've been through new mexico and arizona, like the jicarilla apache reservation. So i know what you are talking about.I grew up very poor but i always had food and never went without.

bulbboy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My daughter was on mission trip last summer to Pine Ridge in the Dakotas. 2 year olds wandering the streets at night because their parents are passed out drunk. 90% unemployment - rampant alcoholism. She loved playing with the kids and seeing them light up when seeing real meals and people just loving on them.

Some of it is on them. But we need to be doing more (some government but mostly us)

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The sad fact is that we do have a problem with hunger and healthcare in this country. The sadder fact is that so far government programs have done little to solve the problem and this admins policies have in fact made things worse. The poverty level is back where it was before the war on poverty even started. Gas and food prices are making it harder for families to make ends meet and many are having to chose between gas to drive to work or enough food in the house.

We do need to work on these problems but the war on poverty and other government ideas have been a complete failure. It is time to try something new. I would suggest a good start would be to get all the freeloaders off government assistance and use the money saved to give more to those who really need it. Streamlining and merging all the many different agencies that are supposed to be helping but usually do not even talk to each other so that more goes to the poor instead of overhead would be another great idea.
This is a pretty obvious problem, but what are ya going to do with all the ner-do-wells, to get the supplies to those that NEED them?

My daughter was on mission trip last summer to Pine Ridge in the Dakotas. 2 year olds wandering the streets at night because their parents are passed out drunk. 90% unemployment - rampant alcoholism. She loved playing with the kids and seeing them light up when seeing real meals and people just loving on them.

Some of it is on them. But we need to be doing more (some government but mostly us)
WAIT ....here is a Pretty Good Idea!

MLRyan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We're looking at this all wrong. We need to approach it like the jobless/unemployed confusion. "Hungry" doesn't necessarily mean "starving". I just ate lunch and I'm still hungry, but not starving.

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
We're looking at this all wrong. We need to approach it like the jobless/unemployed confusion. "Hungry" doesn't necessarily mean "starving". I just ate lunch and I'm still hungry, but not starving.

agreed
this could just mean that fat kids are hungry, that's not news

Latest posts

Top Bottom