1 in 6 Kids in the U.S. are Hungry?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tronnix

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm hungry at least 10 times a day. lol But in all seriousness. There are a lot of hidden corners of the United States that still have people living in poverty that even the government has trouble reaching. Also if we had so many programs in place that this doesn't happen then why do we have more food banks in the US then we have McDonald's. Here is the wiki I read on food banks and it pretty much explains where the 1 in 6 comes from. I have known families to go hungry because they are too prideful to accept help.

Post 2007 financial crisis

Following the 2007–2012 global financial crisis, and the lasting inflation in the price of food that began in late 2006, there has been a further increase in the number of folk requesting help from US and Canadian food banks. In 2012, Gleaners Indianna Food bank reported that there were now 50 million Americans struggling with food insecurity (about 1 in 6 of the population), with the number of folk seeking help from Food banks having increased by 46% since 2005.[18] According to a 2012 UCLA Center for Health Policy Research study, there has been a 40% increase in demand for Californian food banks since 2008, with even married couples who both work sometimes requiring the aid of food banks.[19] Dave Krepcho, director of the Second Harvest Food Bank in Orlando has said that even college educated professional couples have begun to turn to food pantries.[20]

By mid 2012, US food banks expressed concerns on the expected difficulty in feeding the hungry over the coming months. Rapidly rising demand has been coinciding with higher food prices and with a deacrease in donations, partly as the food industry is becoming more efficient and so has less mislabelled and other slightly defective food to give away. Also there has been less surplus federal food on offer.[21] Additionally, there have been recent decreases in Federal funding, and Congress have been debating possible further cuts, including potentially billions of dollars from the Food stamp programme.[22][23][24] In September, Feeding America launched Hunger Action Month, with events planned all over the nation. Food banks and other agencies involved hope to raise awareness of the fact that about one in six Americans are struggling with hunger, and to get more folk involved in helping out.[25] [26]

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Start by hiring enough enforcement, inspector types to do a lot more unannounced in-home visits. That is one major problem the government has, they pass all these laws and have lots of paper shufflers but never enough people going out and actually checking things out.

So we should hire more government employees to reduce a government system?

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some of you are being rather flippant about this issue. I taught school for 13 years and I guarantee that more than 17% of my students went without meals on a regular basis. Many would not eat over the weekend or at night (no free school lunches on the weekend) or much of the summer months. Many of them have worthless druggie parents; some have parents who were making the best of it. Either way, it's not the kids' fault.

agree, seen alot of druggie or lazy parents that don't take care of their kids. it is very sad.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I reserve the right to limit my compassion to individuals/families that I personally come in contact with and/or CHOOSE to assist and in the manner and means that I feel best suites the situation.

Any other discussion is academic at best and guilt assuaging at worst or just another ruse/guilt trip to try to twist arms into another tax designed to "help" someone/some cause that will only be fractional/marginally successful in its purported goals.
Your Mother taught you well.
Agreed
But what are you going to do with the other 99.99% the .gov says we have to help.
Looks like 2 are for the WPA type system...make them work/put on the payroll...for their benefits.
Everyone Knows the Problem....but How does it get Fixed?

justanotherpatriot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My level of responsibility has prioritized tiers. My immediate Family, My extended Family, My close friends, the people I work with and for, my neighbors, my fellow patriots.
My compassion is prioritized by and limited to my responsibilities first, my acquaintances next (limited to handicapped, mentally challenged, very young, very old) and blood sucking, lazy, indifferent mooches NEVER!!!!!! I tell you how you fix the welfare mess. You inform the masses (excepting the H, MC, VY, VO) you dont work, you dont eat. You will no longer be allowed to be the boil on the ass of humanity. You will provide for yourself by legal means only (theft, fraud, panhandling) will be the only excuse needed to execute/deport. See how fast the mooches discover initiative and work ethic when they know if they are to eat it is up to them.
And if the government politicians decide that some cause is nifty and needs to be funded, the first $250,000 comes out of their salary per anum.

justanotherpatriot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Liberal compassion attempts to preempt personal charity for their own directives and interests and demonize the individual who is unwilling to fund the "collective" interests.

The "irony" to this thought is that most of the libs attempting to further whatever charity they promote, do not walk the walk with charitable donations from their own pockets.
Rather they soothe their conscience by presiding over the armtwisting necessary to get others to donate.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So we should hire more government employees to reduce a government system?

No we should transfer some of the existing employees. We have far to many that are in make work jobs who's only real purpose is to expand whichever government agency they work for. Put them to doing something useful or get rid of them through hiring freeze. Instead of raising taxes, shift more of the data doggies to help collect all the unpaid taxes owed, that kind od thing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom