This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So the pioneers from germany dont know how to drive a wagon or are familar with horses. How were they getting around in germany bmws?
Shanks Ponys i.e., they walked. My GGrand parents came over in the 1890's. Walked to port to get on the boat, as I heard it. Max first, then his eldest son, and stepped though them until the youngest son. Last was Wilhemina, his wife.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shanks Ponys i.e., they walked. My GGrand parents came over in the 1890's. Walked to port to get on the boat, as I heard it. Max first, then his eldest son, and stepped though them until the youngest son. Last was Wilhemina, his wife.

Huh....

....I've always heard it as and used the phrase of "Shank's mare." This is the first time I've heard of "Shank's pony."

That said, I'm not sure where "Shank's mare" came from.

Edit: OK, I just got a bit of new knowledge.

"What's the origin of the phrase 'Shanks' pony'?
Shanks' (or shanks's) mare (or nag or pony) derives from the name of the lower part of the leg between the knee and ankle - the shank, nowadays more often known as the shin-bone or tibia. This was alluded to in the early form of this term - shank's nag. This originated in Scotland in the 18th century. There are several early citations in Scottish literature, as here in Robert Fergusson's Poems on Various Subjects, 1774:

"He took shanks-naig, but fient may care."

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mrs. GED and I binge watched the first 5 episodes today. She wasn't real crazy about the language (it didn't really :censored:ing bother me) but she's a big Sam Elliott and Tim McGraw fan, so she stuck it out.

Apparently, when men are filthy, grubby, nasty looking, that's a turn on to women. I always thought Faith Hill was a beautiful woman, but she looks like hell in this show.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mrs. GED and I binge watched the first 5 episodes today. She wasn't real crazy about the language (it didn't really :censored:ing bother me) but she's a big Sam Elliott and Tim McGraw fan, so she stuck it out.

Apparently, when men are filthy, grubby, nasty looking, that's a turn on to women. I always thought Faith Hill was a beautiful woman, but she looks like hell in this show.
She IS a beautiful woman... they probably had to make some effort to make her look like that in the show.

Which reminds me of the show "Ugly Betty". America Ferrarra is very cute, but they made her up to look plain. Why do they do that? Are there no ugly actresses to take those roles??

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Watched episode 5. Saw it coming but didn’t expect it to happen so soon. January 30th is next episode and the trailer to it seems like it’s gonna get pretty wild. Crazy that they filmed some of this show not far from me. Looks a lot like the landscape around me.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
Where did you get the idea that people from Germany didn't know how to drive a wagon, and were not formillor with horses? Horses first came to this country from Europe!

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
She IS a beautiful woman... they probably had to make some effort to make her look like that in the show.

Which reminds me of the show "Ugly Betty". America Ferrarra is very cute, but they made her up to look plain. Why do they do that? Are there no ugly actresses to take those roles??
I haven't seen either this show or 1883 so I'm not talking about specific actresses.
But if I was gonna guess, those Hollywood bigwigs don't want "plain" looking women on the casting couch.
So attractive women get the nod for the roles and the makeup artists and costume makers unions get some work to make them look plain, disheveled or whatever.

TheDoubleD

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There was a mention in one of the early promo's about no make up and leg or armpit shaving. They said it was for authenticity. Did i mention about the 1885 Winchester's in 1883, 15 years after the last wagon train went to Oregon, 25 years after it became a state. Oh yeah I did.

It's a TV show folks...

Latest posts

Top Bottom