20/20 Story Police Officers Speeding (Non emergency) What does OSA think?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I'll tell you. I think there are certain special situations, but I feel for the most part, if you are not running the lights and siren, follow the rules, and set a good example.

Years ago, I was on my way home with my kids in a little white truck we had, west bound I 40, almost to Meridian. You know. Right by H&H. Traffic was barely moving. I was going to exit at Meridian, and although I was almost there, I stayed in my lane and didn't slip over to the shoulder. Would have been easy, but I'm big on rules, and even more on setting a good example for my kids. So I waited until we could exit properly, signaled, and took the exit. Behind me I hear the squeal of tires and a loud police horn from the OHP car that was traveling at a high rate of speed on the shoulder. No lights. No siren. After he chewed me up and down about not looking before I exited, I explained that I used my signal, and am not in the habit of looking for vehicles flying down the shoulder illegally when exiting. I asked him if I should begin doing that. He immediately came down off his high horse, and told me to be careful, and have a good evening.

See, I was an authority to my kids, when they were kids. Part of my job was to set a good example for them to follow. I believe part of the responsibility of anyone choosing a public servant position, especially with that kind of authority, is to set a good example. The speed of the leader is the speed of the group.

I don't care if they get a ticket or not. I care that they don't take setting the standards that others follow seriously.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The fact of the matter is a small percentage of LEO's will do whatever they want on the road, they have a power complex. However, the larger percentage of LEO's are doing it the right way but those are the ones you never notice. A cruiser pulls up to a stoplight, turns on his/her blinker, makes a legal turn and drives away at a normal speed nobody notices and I'll bet you see it multiple times per day if you live in a bigger city but that one cruiser that passes by you on the parkway while you are doing the speed limit and makes multiple lane changes without signaling...THAT's the one you remember. So while you've seen dozens of police vehicles driving responsibly they don't get remembered, the one cop acting like he's writing the rules as he goes is the one you remember. At the end of the week you remember five cop cars driving like idiots and that's suddenly all cops in many peoples minds.

Its exactly why I was such a pain to officers that I knew who pulled that crap, it literally affects the entire departments image and all LEO's in general. There are the occasional reason why an officer may do something with lights off that would get the average person a citation but mostly when you see that kind of behavior it's one of those few LEO's that believes his badge and his car give him the right to do what he wants because he's a "law enforcement officer". Those types are a real pain and some departments have actively sought them out for attitude adjustments but other departments don't bother.

I will say this, when you are out driving and see a patrol car watch and see and remember how many are doing it right compared to those doing it wrong and see who comes out ahead at the end of the week. Not saying its a contest but it's important that citizens realize there are far more good than bad.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
While I think most here are simply discussing officers who speed as a matter of routine, many agencies have specific policies and procedures regarding why and when to run code vs. non-code to a call for service. Some of these agencies recognize that running code brings it's own set of problems. Ask most troopers who run the highways and they'll tell you that often times, they can arrive at the scene of an accident more quickly by not running code. This is because so many drivers just don't know how to respond when they see a unit bearing down on them with flashing lights activated.

Some calls require a bit of urgency, but not so much that you want to run flat out with lights and siren. For these cases, dept. policy may allow 10-15 mph over without running code. Just some food for though. Now back to your regularly scheduled rants! :)

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That could have been handled differently. I think the trooper had the my dick is bigger than your syndrome. I've stopped multiple people for arrestable offenses and cut them slack. I would have called his supervisor and had him respond out. Pulling him out at gun point was a little overboard IMO....I think this whole thing could have been handled differently. But then again I don't go 120 mph to my part time job......Everyone has to sleep in the bed they make.

wah wah wah....Do you speed?....lol

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While I think most here are simply discussing officers who speed as a matter of routine, many agencies have specific policies and procedures regarding why and when to run code vs. non-code to a call for service. Some of these agencies recognize that running code brings it's own set of problems. Ask most troopers who run the highways and they'll tell you that often times, they can arrive at the scene of an accident more quickly by not running code. This is because so many drivers just don't know how to respond when they see a unit bearing down on them with flashing lights activated.

Some calls require a bit of urgency, but not so much that you want to run flat out with lights and siren. For these cases, dept. policy may allow 10-15 mph over without running code. Just some food for though. Now back to your regularly scheduled rants! :)

I know you're TCSO, but what's TPD procedure on runnin' code through the light at 31st/Memorial so you can meet your buddies for an early breakfast at VI? ;)

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Every day I drive 66 miles each way on the Cimarron turnpike. I don’t give a crap what OHP does and they don’t seem to care that I pretty much keep it under 80. Live and let live. Really; a lot of folks need to get a life. When OHP goes by me at 85 I’m just glad they are going by.

Seriously, if this is an issue you get worked up over you need to be on bended knee thanking the Almighty that you have a life so good that this is worthy of your spare time.

Meanwhile somewhere in Haiti tonight a Mother bakes dirt cookies so her child’s aching stomach will kind-of feel just a little less pain.

Get a life!

Latest posts

Top Bottom