$20 an hour Minimum Wage coming to Oklahoma?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They must want less people employed. That’s what happens when the minimum wage goes up.
That's what Walter E. Williams and Thomas Sowell both said when people started pushing for a $15 minimum wage--the minimum wage isn't the Federal $7.25/hour, it's $0. It doesn't help the workers at the bottom of the scale, it cuts off the bottom rungs of the ladder, because no business owner is going to pay skilled labor rates for unskilled workers.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The minimum wage was designed to be the minimum a person could make and survive.
The minimum wage was designed to help northerners suppress cheap southern (read "black") labor that was undercutting their prices. At least that's how Thomas Sowell (or maybe Walter E. Williams) explains it.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's what Walter E. Williams and Thomas Sowell both said when people started pushing for a $15 minimum wage--the minimum wage isn't the Federal $7.25/hour, it's $0. It doesn't help the workers at the bottom of the scale, it cuts off the bottom rungs of the ladder, because no business owner is going to pay skilled labor rates for unskilled workers.
" no business owner is going to pay skilled labor rates for unskilled workers. "

Business owners have very much started paying 'skilled labor rates' for unskilled workers because they cannot find enough skilled labor to do the jobs required. Blame this on those that pushed for college degrees over trade-work schooling for the mess America finds itself in.

Lot of degree'd, know-nothing folks sitting around crying about having to pay back their education loans while 1,000's of jobs go unfilled because no-one knows how to turn a wrench or pound a nail. Do high-schools even have shop classes anymore?

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes the make good money But ive also seen how they work which affects everyone.. Ol Jonny can make 20 parts a day but the union will only let him make 12 so he clooects the extra in a bucket in goes in on saturday and plays pingpong does nothing and turns his extra parts in! just not good for AMERICA and Just My Opinion!
Had a job like that once. Made 100- 120 parts per shift, no mistakes. 2nd and 3rd shift 25 -30 per shift with at least 10% bad. Union people complained, so they had me run parts for an hour or so. Then went and hung out in the toolroom the rest of the time. Was going to quit, but held out a couple months and the bottom fell out of the oil industry and got laid off.

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What happened to joining the military to get money for college? That’s the only reason I joined. Figured money for college and 4 years of job training and life would be good. All these kids complaining about paying back a loan. Nobody forced you to go to college and get a degree in Political Science.
As far as California goes. I remember living in Oceanside California in a 2 bed 2 bath apartment (800 sf) for $1100 a month. That was 21 years ago. I left California as an E8 (second highest enlisted rank) living from paycheck to paycheck. A 2 bed/2 bath in Norman with 900 sf costs me $970 a month today. The same apartment that I lived at while in California now costs $3500 a month. My advice to conservative Californian’s, move to a red state. For Democrats, stay where you are, it’s where you deserve to be.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I want to know when fast food jobs switched from being a job high schoolers and college kids had to earn a little spending cash to a career path that is expected to support a family of four. If an 8 year old can perform your job duties reliably you aren’t worth any $20.00/hour. AND if you want to earn more learn a skill that everyone can’t or won’t do.
Where else can the Gender Studies graduates find employment?

Latest posts

Top Bottom