$20 an hour Minimum Wage coming to Oklahoma?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Exactly. People come in here complaining about the raising of the minimum wage while also complaining about their latest trip to the grocery store. The minimum wage was designed to be the minimum a person could make and survive. At $7.25/hr, no one can survive with the current cost of things. Even working 3 full time jobs. Then, if you take a look at a comparison of the cost of living from OKC to LA, that'll put it in a bit more of a perspective on why a $20/hr min wage is needed in CA. Almost 78% higher to live in LA vs OKC. Sure, you can always say "well just move out of that horrible liberal state, then things will all be better." Except, they won't, because the cost of living throughout the country has gone up. And I don't know if any of you have noticed, but it's not showing any signs of going down anytime soon.

If you look at the comparisons below, across the board almost everything is significantly more expensive in CA.

View attachment 414582

View attachment 414583

View attachment 414584

Then, if you compare rent rates in OKC from 2013 to 2022 you'll see a definite uptick in the cost just to continue living in OKC.

View attachment 414585

I swear, some of the people on this board seem to be stuck back in the old days when it was actually feasible to have a single income family with multiple kids, owning a house and actually go on vacations a couple times a year. And if you are lucky enough to have lived back then and smart enough to have made the proper financial investments to be able to coast through the rest of your lives without being affected by what the trying to make a living on minimum wage provide, then I'm happy for you. But just remember, time doesn't stand still and neither does inflation. The only thing that seems to stand still is the minimum wage and it has for 14 years, while the cost of living itself continues it's upward climb.

I would think that as many of the people on this board have children and grandchildren, that they would want the future to look brighter for them. H8ll, I don't have children and never will, I and my wife (luckily) make well above minimum wage and yet I believe that something definitely needs to be done to increase the livability in this country for future generations. Everyone wants the youth to "get out there and pull themselves up by their boot straps," but it seems like everyone also wants to keep them from having boot straps to begin with.
everyone wants a livable wage problem is nobody wants to work.. they want great wages to fill a spot.. every business i deal with desperately needs people who will WORK.. they get plenty who want the job but not willing to do what it takes to earn the money.. Dad always said you take the job you do the work. no matter what the pay! our Country is in serious trouble because of the way people think now! end of rant!

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I want to know when fast food jobs switched from being a job high schoolers and college kids had to earn a little spending cash to a career path that is expected to support a family of four. If an 8 year old can perform your job duties reliably you aren’t worth any $20.00/hour. AND if you want to earn more learn a skill that everyone can’t or won’t do.
But 'ya got to raise the wages to compensate those kids for being off their phones, which also includes the cost of years worth of professional trauma counseling because of their lost social media time. It all costs, man! :ooh2:

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Someone help me understand why this is only for restaurant workers?
Why not everyone?
What am I missing.
Screen Actors Guild, Writers Guild, Auto Workers, Hospitality Workers, Fast Food Workers, Airline Pilots, Farm Laborers, Hospital workers, Sanitation Workers, and the list just goes on and on of those that have recently been on or are currently on strike for higher wages and benefits.

About the time one industry gets their strike settled another industry starts another, with still others walking-out in sympathy for those that are on strike. It just happens to be the Fast Food Workers turn to strike.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Screen Actors Guild, Writers Guild, Auto Workers, Hospitality Workers, Fast Food Workers, Airline Pilots, Farm Laborers, Hospital workers, Sanitation Workers, and the list just goes on and on of those that have recently been on or are currently on strike for higher wages and benefits.

About the time one industry gets their strike settled another industry starts another, with still others walking-out in sympathy for those that are on strike. It just happens to be the Fast Food Workers turn to strike.
unions suck been a member once. try to influence the way you vote as well as many other things.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If the politicians want to discourage high school students from pursuing a college education, they're doing. a good of it job by increasing minium wages. Working fast food was never intended to be a a career choice, it waa supposed to provide gasoline/spending money for the teenagers and a springboard for a better job.
A lot of fast food places are barely making in as it is and if they increase minimum wages to $20, we can expect a lot of them to shut down because the average wage earner cannpt afford to take their familiy out to eat in this economy as often as they once could.

Latest posts

Top Bottom