2010 Deer Season (rifle)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

N3TD3ViL

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I haven't been hunting in over ten years. In fact, the last time I went was about 1-2 years before my grandpa passed away and he was who I always hunted with. After his passing, I sold my guns and rarely ever fished.

This year, I would like to go deer hunting. However, my dilemma is that everyone he knew that allowed us to hunt, they have all passed away as well. That being said, I have nowhere to hunt.

I've looked for deer leases, and forgive me for saying this but, it seems a little steep to pay $1000 to hunt for no more than two weeks when there's no guarantee that I'll come home with anything other than my rifle.

Anyone have any ideas? I mean, am I faced with no choice other than to dole out $1000+ to hunt for a couple of weeks, or is there some way I can get by with pay $500 for a week somewhere? I've been out of the loop for quite awhile so, I really have no clue about this stuff now.

Thanks in advance.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Welcome to the new situation in land access in OK.
It cracks me up when people say " I lived in Altus 20 years ago, so I know it is easy to find a good place to hunt there."

Weatherby

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I know there are folks out there who won't step foot on public land, but there is some pretty good spots out there. The wildlife dept seems to be adding more property every year. I have always had luck at Spavinaw WMA.

rlt7272

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree, there are several acres of pubic land available. I hunt on public land every year and more years than not I harvest a doe and the occasional stupid buck.

N3TD3ViL

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Man, that would be great. I'll hunt anywhere that will allow. Hell, I'll even start putting out deer blocks and such to help myself and the other hunters that frequent the area.

I'm guessing I would need to get in contact with the Wildlife Department and inquire on public areas around the state, or would I contact some other department?

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is quite a bit of good hunting in LeFlore County on US Forest Service Land south & east of Heavener to the Arkansas line and south past Kiamichi Mountain and west of Cedar Lake up Holson Valley Road. There is also some Weyerhauser land (Three Rivers) in McCurtain County that you can hunt on with the $40 access permit north of Battiest/Bethel as well as some of the Honobia Creek Wilderness Area in Pushmataha County north of Nashoba on Little River. Pretty much all the timberlands around Smithville, Honobia, Eagletown, & Broken Bow are leased now. :flybuzz:

Cedar Creek

Weatherby

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If you have time to go by, the wildlife department sells topoghraphical maps of all the public land in the state. I haven't bought one in years, but it seems like they were around $14. They are just southwest of the capitol building.

BigTexOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you have time to go by, the wildlife department sells topoghraphical maps of all the public land in the state. I haven't bought one in years, but it seems like they were around $14. They are just southwest of the capitol building.

Don't think they sell these anymore. I tried to buy one a few weeks back and they pointed me to the website. have to printout the map yourself.

Latest posts

Top Bottom