2010 Deer Season (rifle)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Go to the wildlifedepartment.com web site, and look at the public lands around you and the regs for that area during deer season. There are some bow only areas on public lands, and rifle areas on the same wildlife managment area. If its around some housing areas it will be bow only, but if its in the backwoods, you can use what you want.
Once you find an area your interested in, call the area biologist, and talk to them. They can usually tell a hunter where they might have the best luck.
If I were you and your dad had a good relationship with the land owners that passed away, I'd check to see if the heirs to the land might remember him, and you being with him, and see what you can work out. You might have to show up in the summer to help with a little fence mending or something like that, but its worth it to get access to private lands to hunt on. Good luck.

big-triple-d

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Welcome to the state of affairs of oklahoma hunting, I am vary lucky I picked up couple of very small pieces of land, and it is like hitting the lottery. I lost two real nice places to hunt both got taken over by the kids of the owners and locked the gate or started charging to hunt. I have hunted turkey on public ground but never deer. You must get the maps from the wildlife department web site.

http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/wmas2.htm

I you ask me the biggest reason for the dropping number of hunters is do to the lack of land. I know farmers that complain about pigs running all over the place but wont let you hunt for free.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
the 2010- 2011 regs will be the best bet. public lands have come a long way. be sure to check the closed or controlled hunt times for the area you choose. i've had a lease for a number of years but public lands van be very productive. don't expect to walk in a harvest an animal though. do you homewrk and scout early.

check the hunting and fishing section here on the forum. lots of good info about what and where to hunt.

good luck!

Latest posts

Top Bottom