2013-14 Deer Season Success

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremy1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We had a good hunt this afternoon. Deer really moving. Between four of us we managed one buck and three doe. I took a doe to get meat in the freezer and passed o a small fork and six. Just too small this early in the season... Or really anytime this season. It just started and I am looking for bigger. I did manage to pose with cousins buck though... Fun day!!!!
IMG_0856.jpg

IMG_0858.jpg

IMG_0852.jpg

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It is great to see everyone's pictures. There have been some beauties taken. My family and friends have had a great 3 days of hunting. Both my younger brothers got nice bucks on Saturday.
Dwayne from Muskogee. His taxidermist is fixing the broken tines for his mount.

Darrell in Stillwater. His biggest deer ever.

My good friend brought both his boys this year and didn't hunt so he could focus on helping them get deer. The youngest, Ben, got his first bowkill on Saturday afternoon too. His dad was watching him in the stand from 300 yrds away and saw him start dancing. He thought he was cold and wanted to get down but he was so excited about hitting the deer that he was crying when he got to him. Took a little convincing to get dad to believe he had really shot one....LOL.

This morning, within minutes of each other, I got a nice 12 pt and my friend's other son, Justin, got this heavy horned 21 pt. Shot mine in Stillwater at 30 yrds and Justin got his at Pond Creek at 40 yrds. I'm the only one who is not getting his buck mounted out of these.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
those are some nice deer imhntn,pass a big heap of congrats to the kids and the dad that takes the time to show them how to do it!

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bassin and Sticky - I finally got to my computer after coming back from the farm and got a good look at both of your bucks...........HOLY TOLEDO!!!! Those are some fine bucks and a great story too. Both of you worked hard for those 2. Everyone on here is putting the hammer to some real great animals especially the kids.

tran

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Nice deer... I am glad to see someone is seeing deer. We have not seen a deer the passed two days. I think they are in a lock down mode in my area.

oden_sparks

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was out bow hunting Sunday evening and I had the same group of 3 deer out in front of me that had been there all weekend, an old doe, a young doe and a button buck. When it was apparent ol biggun was nowhere to be found and it started getting late I couldn't resist some thanksgiving meat. The mama doe wondered off after staring me down with an uneasy look (I was in a natural ground blind of cedar trees sitting on a stool). The button buck was 12 yds out and the young doe behind him. I didn't want to punch through and hit them both and he had his head in front of her so I let loose an arrow aimed at the throat of the button buck tipped with a rage hypodermic. I heard no sound but saw my lighted nock sticking in the ground. They ran about 15 yds then turned around and started walking back towards me. I thought the deer I shot had wobbly legs but I couldn't see blood. I started to panic. I told myself I needed a follow-up arrow as I was certain I'd hit him. I knocked another arrow as they passed behind a cedar. I stepped out and they were 43 yds out and the same distance apart. I quickly took aim and let loose another arrow..."whack." Deer hunched up like a lung shot and arrow hit behind shoulder. Deer ran off. I sat down a waited about 15 minutes wondering what had happened. I decided to go pick up my first arrow and to my surprise find the button buck about 5 yds from where I shot him. Now I'm tripping out. I see no blood until about 3 feet from where he fell and there is a bucket of blood there. I realize when I lost sight of him he fell down and died and another deer ran out next to the doe with the same spacing these two had when I lost sight of them (roughly 20 yds). So I assumed I was shooting a follow-up arrow into an already hit button buck but actually I shot a young doe. As I'm leaning over inspecting the button buck she gets up about 30 yds away and takes off. I find my arrow and it smells terrible. I believe I clipped lung but guts also. By now it is dark so I leave so hopefully she lays down and dies. I get up and get out to looking at sunrise and find her about 250 yds away and ravaged by coyotes. I mean ravaged and in less than 12 hours. I still feel sick about it. Not sure what I could have done differently or should have done. Hate to waste that meat. Not sure if this is a success story but I felt good about both shots. The 43 yarder on the doe was the farthest shot I've made on a deer. It was a lethal shot. I felt good about it. Not exactly where I wanted it but pretty close. I also am confused as to hoe that button buck walked about 25 yds without bleeding then opened up like a faucet. I am now on coyote patrol and sick to my stomach.
http://i1010.photobucket.com/albums/af230/oden_sparks/IMAG0298_zps9a7576e6.jpg
http://i1010.photobucket.com/albums/af230/oden_sparks/IMAG0308_zpsee89cdc3.jpg
http://i1010.photobucket.com/albums/af230/oden_sparks/IMAG0309_zps5007fcd5.jpg
http://i1010.photobucket.com/albums/af230/oden_sparks/IMAG0310_zps02e152cd.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom