2013-14 Deer Season Success

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

120 Acres

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh, this is getting good!

i36.tinypic.com_kdu88j.jpg

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Guys lay off D&T. If you have spent much time in the woods you have made a decision you have regretted before. I am sure he wishes he had another bolt available to make a finisher shot. Anytime we aren't able to recover an animal we should all feel sick. D&T already stated that his neighbors will NOT allow him to recover his deer on there property. Hindsight is always 20/20 but the view is often a little different from another perspective. Hopefully lessons were learned here, and that is what is important.

Nice deer D&T, should make good dinner!

It's obvious he doesn't regret shooting the deer in the butt, in fact, he all but brags about it, so that excuse don't fly!

Have you ever seen how small the femoral artery is?? I guarantee you there is a lot bigger chance of not recovering a deer shot in the butt than one shot through both lungs. I've been hunting with a crossbow for almost 2 decades so I know what they will do. Anyone that tells you they can hit an artery, not much bigger than an arrow shaft, every time, even in a living, breathing, moving anima,l is full of crap. Here's another news flash for you, a deer with a severed femoral artery isn't going to take 45 minutes to bleed out.

Defend or excuse him as you choose, just don't expect me to.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's obvious he doesn't regret shooting the deer in the butt, in fact, he all but brags about it, so that excuse don't fly!

Have you ever seen how small the femoral artery is?? I guarantee you there is a lot bigger chance of not recovering a deer shot in the butt than one shot through both lungs. I've been hunting with a crossbow for almost 2 decades so I know what they will do. Anyone that tells you they can hit an artery, not much bigger than an arrow shaft, every time, even in a living, breathing, moving anima,l is full of crap. Here's another news flash for you, a deer with a severed femoral artery isn't going to take 45 minutes to bleed out.

Defend or excuse him as you choose, just don't expect me to.
Never said I was defending him, but no reason to continue on and on about it. It was a lethal shot. He has pics to prove it. Making a bad shot is not illegal, and bad shots do happen. I worked a check station a few years ago in Atoka county on opening weekend of gun season. I saw a lot of different shot placements and excuses for some of those. The result of ALL of those were lethal, otherwise I wouldn't have seen them. I have shot my dad's crossbow several times and if you can't routinely Robin Hood bolts at 20 yards with his crossbow, you are doing it wrong. Couple that accuracy with a 1 1/8" cut broadhead you do have a little more margin of error than diameter of an arrow shaft.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never said I was defending him, but no reason to continue on and on about it. It was a lethal shot. He has pics to prove it. Making a bad shot is not illegal, and bad shots do happen. I worked a check station a few years ago in Atoka county on opening weekend of gun season. I saw a lot of different shot placements and excuses for some of those. The result of ALL of those were lethal, otherwise I wouldn't have seen them. I have shot my dad's crossbow several times and if you can't routinely Robin Hood bolts at 20 yards with his crossbow, you are doing it wrong. Couple that accuracy with a 1 1/8" cut broadhead you do have a little more margin of error than diameter of an arrow shaft.

You may not have "said" you were defending him, but you certainly are.

You still don't seem to get it, according to him, he INTENDED to shoot the deer in the butt. It wasn't a "bad shot" it was an irresponsible shot.

I never said the margin of error was the size of an arrow shaft, I said the target is the size of an arrow shaft, there is a difference.

He says he is trying to hit a target the size of an arrow shaft, a target he can't see because it is buried behind hide and muscle, so he is guessing as to it's precise location. Put that hidden arrow shaft sized target inside an animal that moves unpredictably and you further complicate things.

It's bad enough that he does it, it's worse when his post encourages people like Bluewing to try it.

just learned something about killing a deer through the back. all my shots have been aimed only at the head or heart/lung. you just gave me another reasonable target. makes good sense if the other shots aren't available.
Thanks. .

An ethical hunter will do everything possible to insure a quick, humane kill, intentionally shooting a deer in the butt with a bow doesn't fit that description. If we don't speak out against unethical behavior and police our own ranks, the anti hunters will use it against us.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
[/QUOTE]. Yes, I have made less than perfect shots that resulted in a slower than ideal death, but never have I done it intentionally.

.[/QUOTE]

You may not have made a less than perfect shot intentionally, but did you intentionally pull the trigger?

Good grief buzzgun I do agree that we shouldn't give ammo to the anti's. So should we just close the hunting section on OSA? If it isn't easily found on the internet it will be harder to find ammo.

You have made your point to D&T that you do not agree with his shot, you have given reasons why it is not a good shot in your opinion and backed it up with some evidence. There is absolutely no reason to keep beating the dead deer.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He got lucky, plain and simple. I don't care if he's killed 200 deer. It's a high risk shot with a low chance of success. Its a very tiny target with no margin for error. It's disrespectful to the animal and poor ethics. Wait for a better shot or don't shoot... Ever!
As far as his neighbors, that's BS. They can't keep you from retrieving your animal. If they try then just contact your local GW and he'll accompany you or get it for you. Seen it many times.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, I have made less than perfect shots that resulted in a slower than ideal death, but never have I done it intentionally.

You may not have made a less than perfect shot intentionally, but did you intentionally pull the trigger?

Good grief buzzgun I do agree that we shouldn't give ammo to the anti's. So should we just close the hunting section on OSA? If it isn't easily found on the internet it will be harder to find ammo.

You have made your point to D&T that you do not agree with his shot, you have given reasons why it is not a good shot in your opinion and backed it up with some evidence. There is absolutely no reason to keep beating the dead deer.

Can you not understand the difference between accidental and intentional?? Yes, I have made bad shots, yes, I pulled the trigger, but I didn't pull the trigger intentionally on an irresponsible shot, DT did, THAT is the difference.

No, we shouldn't close the hunting section, but we sure shouldn't be applauding, condoning or defending an irresponsible shot.

You are on the Board of OYHSP, would you allow one of your young hunters to intentionally shoot a deer in the butt with a rifle?? If you wouldn't allow it from them, why would you defend it when DT intentionally does it with a bow which is much more likely to result in a lost deer??

The reason I keep " beating a dead deer" is because DT, you and others keep trying to defend what he did. It's indefensible and everybody should say so.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He got lucky, plain and simple. I don't care if he's killed 200 deer. It's a high risk shot with a low chance of success. Its a very tiny target with no margin for error. It's disrespectful to the animal and poor ethics. Wait for a better shot or don't shoot... Ever!
As far as his neighbors, that's BS. They can't keep you from retrieving your animal. If they try then just contact your local GW and he'll accompany you or get it for you. Seen it many times.

You may have seen it many times, but a game warden can't legally do it. A game warden cannot authorize trespass on private property, he can't take or allow someone else onto private property against the owner's wishes.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fred Bear PREFERED to shoot a deer in the ass and claimed he never lost a ham shot deer.
I think you go for the chest, myself. I'm just putting it out there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom