2017 Deer hunting results/stories

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As I posted in another thread, I made my first trip up to hunt rifle season since 2009, and it was well worth it. Didn’t see much Saturday morning, but I got a lot of work done around my place. Saturday evening as soon as the wind laid at 4:45 the deer started moving but no shooters. I really figured there would be ALOT of activity Sunday morning, but it was surprisingly slow. At a little after 8, I saw a doe skirting through some timber along the river, and by the way she was acting, I figured there was “something” behind her. About 30 seconds after she went by, I saw the buck, and he looked to have a huge body and alot of points but was too hidden in the brush to get a good look or a shot. He went out of sight for about a minute or two and then ran out into a field 100 yards from where I had first seen him. I got the scope on him, and when he stopped, I shot him quartering away. He disappeared. I waited a couple minutes and got down to look for blood, but there was no blood trailing needed. He dropped where he stood, and I cleaned him in the same spot. Echeck is great!!!
I’ve had this buck on camera for at least 3 years, and his body was much bigger than it looked in pictures. I estimate him to be 6.5 and weigh between 250 and 275 lbs (live weight). He had 11 points and a brow tine broken off.

Attachments

• 163954A6-5004-4892-8310-8EC22214CE2B.jpeg
    163954A6-5004-4892-8310-8EC22214CE2B.jpeg
    149.8 KB · Views: 182
  • A80D4C7D-C53E-4564-BF86-AAB60A942708.jpeg
    A80D4C7D-C53E-4564-BF86-AAB60A942708.jpeg
    217.3 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
As I posted in another thread, I made my first trip up to hunt rifle season since 2009, and it was well worth it. Didn’t see much Saturday morning, but I got a lot of work done around my place. Saturday evening as soon as the wind laid at 4:45 the deer started moving but no shooters. I really figured there would be ALOT of activity Sunday morning, but it was surprisingly slow. At a little after 8, I saw a doe skirting through some timber along the river, and by the way she was acting, I figured there was “something” behind her. About 30 seconds after she went by, I saw the buck, and he looked to have a huge body and alot of points but was too hidden in the brush to get a good look or a shot. He went out of sight for about a minute or two and then ran out into a field 100 yards from where I had first seen him. I got the scope on him, and when he stopped, I shot him quartering away. He disappeared. I waited a couple minutes and got down to look for blood, but there was no blood trailing needed. He dropped where he stood, and I cleaned him in the same spot. Echeck is great!!!
I’ve had this buck on camera for at least 3 years, and his body was much bigger than it looked in pictures. I estimate him to be 6.5 and weigh between 250 and 275 lbs (live weight). He had 11 points and a brow tine broken off.

Great buck congrats! Dark rack for these parts too.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Great buck congrats! Dark rack for these parts too.

Thanks, and the differences in rack and coat color on my place is a mystery to me. I’ve killed bucks with dark racks and smooth darker coats and others with almost white racks and lighter “wooly” coats. I’m assuming it’s just two different sub species. Over the years, the darker racks and smooth coats have typically had larger racks, but they are both pretty much the same in body size (at maturity).

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
my buck from november 4th. ignore the trailcam dates, they are this year. aged at 3.5 years

i-wBxhpNx-L.jpg

i-nvDRvRH-L.jpg

he was the biggest i had on camera until this guy showed last week. gunning for him the rest of the year. 10 years ago seeing a basket rack 8 on camera or on stand was impressive on our place. finally starting to get some nice bucks. i attribute this to surrounding lands changing hands and hunting (ie poaching and brown it's down guys) on them decreasing. we hear a fraction of the shots we used to now. especially at night. idiots can really screw up a deer herd it turns out.

i-TqDg8cD-L.jpg

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wisconsin was a bust for me. My host kept mentioning long shots, so I geared up accordingly with my Remington 700 308 and 4-14 Leupold MkIV scope. I get there and we're in heavy brush and the deer are always on the run. My buddy got a 140# doe with his AR10, the host got two button bucks with his Ruger 44 Carbine and his son got a 6 pointer.
I'm not an experienced deer hunter but they do this like I quail hunt. Get guys and walk the brush and shoot at whatever gets up....apparently thats the Wisconsin way (I saw several fields set up with a row of guys on the perimeter on my way out). It was an experience for sure. If I had to do it over, I'd bring my 30/30, 45-70 or Blackout. Either way "A bad day in the field beats a good day at the office" so it was nice to get out and see some animals and nature.

I'll be trying my luck elsewhere this weekend :D

Latest posts

Top Bottom